1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACLU challenges law banning unmarried couples from adopting

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.fox16.com/news/story/ACLU-challenges-law-banning-unmarried-couples/rL-5CHtLqUaLrpBBuGjzfw.cspx

2. Beachboi92

if this works out it would be nice for many gay couples but i feel it will also hurt the pro gay marriage movement because the religious right can further argue that civil unions are equal to civil marriage (never mind the 900 other rights that civil marriage gets that unions don't) while completely disregarding the difference between civil and religious marriage as usual.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sigh, didn't we always say it? They'll come after unmarried couples next. I just expected though that it wouldn't happen until us gays had all our rights given or taken away.

4. Brad

Those State attorneys make me laugh. What discovery do they really need? 3 teenagers saying they would have a better chance finding a home if more families were able to be included isn't really debatable and using the excuse that they need time for discovery because of those teenagers really is quite funny. Even if there was a fair bit they had to find out about these teenagers 2 months is plenty of time.

@Beachboi

Is that the only law in place barring gay couples from adopting/fostering children in the state? Because as well as them being required to be married there may be another law saying the families need to have both a mother and a father as well.

I honestly don't see how the state plans to make a credible case on this matter. Marriage is not an indicator of how much love is in a family or how stable that family is.

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Am I right in thinking that Florida is the only state that currently outrightly outlaws gay people from adopting? ie. that other states, like Arkansas, outlaw it de facto by means of prohibiting non-married people from adopting (and therefore also gay people who can't adopt). I think I saw somewhere that someone in Florida was trying to fight against the gay adoption ban. They have this really weird thing whereby gay people can foster but not adopt - I was reading about this family (two dads and their foster children) who had had their children for basically all their lives and the children had two choices: stay with their dads as their foster children (because the state won't let them adopt them) or lose the only family they have ever known and get adopted that way. I *think* they may have been fighting on the grounds that they were being denied the right to a family or something, although I might be mistaken.

I do hope that they win this case in Arkansas though.

6. BlueVelvet

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning