1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protesters abuse congresspeople, shouting homophobic/racist slurs.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Emberstone

This annoyed me on so many levels.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/3457015

part of the way down:

It annoys me that we still live in a day and age when slurs and vitrol are still being spewed at random. His sexuality is his own, and it is not something that is requisite of how they vote.

Take california state senete congressman Ashburn, who was determiedly anti-gay everything, and gay himself, though hiding. the fact that he was gay did not explain why his voting record was blatently anti-gay. but because of the politics of a whole wing of american politics, he had to hide the fact he was gay because he felt his other political values -- the ones independent of his sexuality -- would be hindered in a election if those people knew the truth.

I have to agree with the article and the congresspeople who were verbally abused. It seemed less about the issues at hand, and more about being abusive, and trying to be distraction.

It just only goes to show that we need to organize, and fight back with civility...

let the tea party protesters resort of ethnic, racist, and homophobic slurring... let the WBC have their little signs depiting stick figgers buggering each other up the butt. Let Maggie Gallagher go on tv and spew lies about how gay people are trying to corrupt and destory the children. Let that state congresswoman go into explicit detail about anal intercourse in a hearing...

...but stand up and be a voice speaking louder, with civility, and the truth of the facts to support them. In the end, who will seem more reasonable... the people who shout "nigger! fagget! homo! jewbag!"? or the people who can speak with reason, logic, and true moral fortitude?

2. Paper Heart

Barney Frank, one of my personal heroes, is one of the few politicians left that truly give a damn about the people. I wish people would stop seeing him as a gay politician, but a politician that just happens to be gay.

3. Just Adam

has to make you think are people worth helping when they are so blinded and idiotic to act as they do.

4. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is the kind of ignorant, boneheaded stuff that can sometimes make me embarrassed to be from this country. :bang:

5. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

As much as I don't like Barney Frank for the large role he played in our current financial predicament, this is a manifestation of what is wrong with a sizable segment of the population. People can't simply disagree like rational human beings anymore, instead we have people whose political ideals are fed by hate, fear, and irrationality.

What I consider to be almost more worrisome than the anti-gay words being used is the fact racial slurs are being thrown at the black Congressmen. Not that verbal harassment towards gays isn't frightening, but it isn't totally unheard of in today's society. On the other hand, racism has become generally unacceptable. (I realize there is still a very minor part of the population that this isn't true for.) To see this unfortunately supports what I have believed all along, which is that most of the "tea-party" people are pushing an agenda not only rooted in fear, but in racism.

I have to say that seeing things like this, while frightening, is a good reminder to everyone that racism and hatred towards gays does still exist. I may not be on board with most of Barney Frank's agenda, but I would proudly stand next to him as a show of support while people spit at him and called him a faggot or a homo.

6. Just Adam

i find homophobia jsut as worrying if not more than racism. theres still racism today thre allways will eb same with anything but its looked upon by the majority as stupid where as homophobia is still 50/50 which often feels like 60/40 to them.

7. Connor22

why are there so many people opposed to this whole health care thing? Isn't free health care and free hospital care a good thing? It works over here why not there

8. RaeofLite

I'm with you Connor. Yes, it can cause some debt, but really.. if a country's population is mostly middleclass or lower than middleclass, I think you guys need a national healthcare policy. It's worked in Canada and we're not more in debt than the USA.

9. Dan82

At the risk of this turning into a political discussion (because I’ve grown to dislike talking politics online and on this issue passions are particularly strong), most people are happy with their healthcare and don’t want it to change and fear this bill will adversely effect it. While there are a number of aspects of healthcare where there is broad agreement (very few people want poor children to die because their parents can’t afford to pay for treatment), there is a lot of disagreement about how the system should be structured. I should point out that there is no such thing as free healthcare. I’ll be happy when the debate is over because it has really brought out the worst in everyone.

10. Emberstone

again, as the poster above, not to make it too political..

... but tax payers already pay for the uninsured. when a person cant afford a medical bill, the taxpayers pay for it out of their taxes. By reforming healthcare, tax payers will still pay, but the goverment will be able to oversee and ensure that cost are brought down. healthcare is so expensive because the private companies (insurance companies) are allowed to jack up prices on insurance, but are not required to actually properly insure. Thats why in some states, the companies are trying tojack up rates 37%. they are for-profit only, not for-service. So, the point of reform is to shift how tax payers pay, and how to bring the cost down so they pay less.

But back to the topic.

I am still incensed in how people protesting legislation are doing so with vulgarity. They are resorting to slurs and hate speech. It is highly doubtful the people who are acting in such a way even know anything about the bill itself they are abusing gay and differently ethnic congresspeople about. How many actually have bothered to read at least in part the legislation.

What angers me most is that it seems republicans are cheering these people on, instead of reigning them in, and telling them that passion is not enough of exquise for a loss of civility.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Great post Emberstone. I'm actually quite surprised that protesters would even be allowed in the Capital during such a heated debate. Seems really unsafe and by the news reports of what's happening with the "teabaggers", its actually quite terrifying. I wouldn't want to be there.

12. Emberstone

I agree... This really extends to anyone who would act in such a way, not just in what is happening today, and the past few days in washington politics.

...what happens when they don't get what they are screaming for with such rancor, vitrol, and threatening vulgarity?