1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judge hears lesbian teen's suit to force prom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/03/22/national/a110402D66.DTL&tsp=1

2. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whose favor do you think the judge will go with?

3. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't seen it substantiated yet, but according to a few reports she is excluded(or at least not invited) to the private prom being held by the student body/parents.

4. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard she just wasn't told about it (which basically is excluded)

5. Dan82

I think the judge will go with the school. Unfortunately, there’s nothing illegal about their actions.

6. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is another reason for what makes me want to go back and redo high school over again.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Yeah the judge is probably going to side with the school cause proms aren't mandatory.

8. RaeofLite

I think she should throw her own prom for all those 'not accepted' (ie: gays, racial minorities etc). :slight_smile:

9. Just Adam

i dont care about her any more, this has gone far too far with all this taking people to court chat shows and such crap.

before any of this i said screw the school and just get some friends get some booze get some music and have fun geez why cant kids manage that these days but nope and looks like shell have to do that anyway.

what a waste of time money and effort for something that will make no legal difference and will soon be forgotten by the public :frowning2:

int he start all she should of done was in response to the school and district education board tell th e press and set up a rival prom of her own hoping to bury the school one. sort of for the students by the students for everyone.

goes back to the convo yesterday about protesting you need to be clever, time wasting money spewing legal battles unless theres actually something illegal there aint gonna get you far,, and by jut cancelling a prom it aint illegal they were clever heartless but clever so you need to be too create a positive media storm and take positive action. maybe do a talk show and promote your own prom party make it a massive event. but legal battles meh

10. Alex19

im glad that shes making an uproar about this. it shows that it will not be over without a fight.

11. Davey

I have a good feeling Constance might win and even if she doesn't now it is another step forward for the LGBTQ community showing that we will not we walked over anymore. Even for something "so little".

12. Emberstone

proms are not manadatory, but this was a prom paid for and ran by a public school, which makes discriminating against a student a issue of ligality.

13. Jay D

I think she ought to throw her own prom in retaliation for all the LGBT people at her school. Talk about a slap in the face!

14. RaeofLite

...Yes but like another EC user mentioned last week about gay rights movement that we shouldn't even bother. Yet if no one stood up for anything, we wouldn't be in the position we are in today. Someone has to stand up. Infact, we all should on occasion. Hear a phrase, "That's gay" ? Stand up for yourself and other LGBT people. Let people know even with these little things that that's not acceptable.

Yep. Sometimes it takes baby steps and finetuning of the details to piece together the big picture. :thumbsup: And I personally think that it shows that the school district and those others that say 'it's ruining' their lives, are really immature and they should learn to climb out of their "bubbles" and experience diversity in life.

15. Just Adam

im not saying dont fight for lgbt rights im saying this instant is futile, the place runs the prom or they dont they decided not to , ok the views which made them cancel are wrong but they can deny them and make some shit reason, but i just dont agree with law suits when theres no clear point of attack. at the start she should of just said fine sod ya ill hold my own party blow ya prom out of your ass

but i guess its a cultural thing. if they had clearly said we shant hold the prom because of gay people or something that cant be denied or wriggles out of in court id say sue the hell out them that kind of behaviour cant be tolerated but just like dan choi and his idea of a protest it wont accomplish anything other than raise a media storm and raise negativity from opposition, protests, politics, legal matters need to be held properly.

but again perhaps i just think differently to everyone else ;s your all prob right.