1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Choi interview in Newsweek

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.newsweek.com/id/235290

2. Gaetan

I think this is what makes our struggle for rights so difficult. With the African American's struggle, there were physical limitations placed on their actions. They couldn't eat at restaurants, ride certain buses, or drink from water fountains. So, what did they do? They peacefully did those things. Sat in restaurants, rode buses, and drank from the white fountain. That is civil disobedience.

However, the rights we want are nearly intangible ideas. We want to get married, to not get fired, to adopt our children. Unfortunately, what are we going to do about that? Have a marriage-in? I don't even see how that would work.

While I agree we do need things such as this, I unfortunately don't see it being as effective at changing social attitudes as it did back in the 60s.

3. Just Adam

i just think hes an idiot and lost my support frankly as people know our plight it aint going away any more him chaining himself isnt helpful and frankly i hope the movement for the repeal of dadt moves away from his actions as the last thing you want attached to you when fighting a very hard legal and moral case is law breakers and extremests as it will be used against us and they will say we arent even going to listen to you if you behave in this manner.it will vindicate their views on abbility to soldier and raise children they will argue we are mentally incapable. so yea i hope the law does what it has to and we salvage ourselves.

i know it may sound over the top what im saying but like Gae said what we want isnt something tangible its much more difficult its ideas morals emotions love acceptance these things are so hard and the slightest thing can impact peoples views and how they treat others, and we dont just need political power to get our rights we also need the publics belief and caring to keep them and this like a lot recently is counter productive in my view.