1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine general: Gays would get their own rooms

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MILITARY_GAYS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=

2. Just Adam

part of me think fuck you to this guy perhaps i dont want to be around straight people think abotu that?...part of me feel cool a room to meself who came off worse here you were scared of sleeping near me so i get a room alllllllllllll to meself yay

3. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    That is completely rediculous. I spent a fair amount of time both within the Army Cadets and the Army itself - allbeit the British Army. But after coming out of the closet, I asked a whole bunch of my previous colleagues what they felt about me staying in the same room as them - and to be honest none of them cared.

I know that Americans seem to be a little more conservative - but comeon, what's with the whole fighting inequality, with... wait.. more inequality.

4. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Such bullshit. Segregation much?

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I mean yeah it's segregation which doesn't work, as shown by segregation of African Americans in the South. Separate can not and never will be equal. But it could have been a whole lot worse. The guy could have flat out said, "I don't want no gays in my unit."

6. Being a marine and having your own room is awesome. But forcing someone to be alone because of something they have no control over is evil. Forget every somewhat positive thing I ever said about marines. The truth about marines is that to do well in the corps you need to be an idiot. This is proven in this article.

Thank god I don't have to be around those morons anymore.:icon_bigg

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they are trying to keep the majority of straight men in the army happy. Some of them are probably homophobic and wouldn't want to share a room with gay people. We don't want everyone leaving the military. :slight_smile:

Also I think everyone is too spoiled with this equality stuff sometimes. Gay people are being allowed to serve in the military, give them their way on something... maybe the straight guys don't want to sleep in the same room as gay males? I can see a few reasons why. Even if they have stupid reasons maybe we should let them get a tiny bit their way while we get the majority of it our way. :slight_smile:

Personally this is good enough for me, and should make both parties happy. Stop complaining...

8. Pretend you are in the 1950's and are black. You want to use the same bathroom as white people but some white people are not comfortable with that. You should accept the fact that white people might not want to be around a black person and be happy you are even allowed in the building. Does that make any sense at all?

Your post IS going to offend many people here.

9. RaeofLite

People are going to have to realize that they need to experience diversity in life, whether it be people with differing religions, ethnicities, cultures, race, gender and sexual orientation.

...This just sounds like the "black water fountains" and the "white water fountains" :dry:
    ...I'm not sure if it'll work in the direction in moving towards equality eventually or divide people even more. :frowning2:

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless the bathrooms/drinking fountains, etc were really crappy (which they were) then I think it's fine. If the commodities are not equal then it's bad... If they put gay people in a shitty room compared to the straight people's room, then yes that is unfair...

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The marines should be honored to have gay men and women serve in it. Not the other way around.

What worries people when separate but equal comes into play is that the mentality of "we are better than them" comes into play. When they can easily point towards the gay people then a problem arises.

And if this is fair in the military then why not apply the same concept to schools, jobs, etc.

12. donnie5

that's America for you, when it comes to human rights in this country its always two steps forward to take three back...

13. If a military unit is to work effectively there must be unit cohesion. If they separate people unit cohesion is impossible. In boot camp civilians arrive with many different backgrounds. These recruits see all these differences initially but during their time in boot camp these differences start to disappear. By the time they graduate boot camp you can look around the squad bay and all you see is Marines. Some may be black, asian, hispanic or whatever but you don't see the differences. All you see is the common characteristic that unites all of you and everything else means nothing.

By separating people based on their sexual orientation the ones that are cast aside will forever be marked as outsiders. On paper they might be part of a particular unit but in reality they will not feel a part of anything. If the US military decides to go ahead with this plan I honestly believe they will doom themselves. There will be a fracture that our enemies will easily see and they will attack it. Eventually that small fracture will be a canyon and the whole thing will implode.

This general is an idiot. He does not see the full implications of his plan and that shows he is a horrible leader. A good leader brings people together not divides them.

I will keep complaining until we are not seen as outsiders. Anyone that thinks this is OK does not fully understand it and is not helping our plight. All we want is equality and we should NEVER settle for anything less. By doing so we doom ourselves.

14. Beachboi92

Separate But Equal Amiright?

15. Bryan90

From a different view:

Do you think it's ridiculous to have separate rooms for females and males?

If you don't think it's ridiculous, then you shouldn't find this ridiculous too.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I love you, Bryan.

17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It doesn't compare.

Society separates them because males and females are mutually attracted to each other and sex may become an issue.

straight guys and gay guys don't have a mutual attraction.

Putting all gay guys in one room would not be following what you are saying since the sex problem would arise more often and easier with this arrangement.

And just for the record, a lot of people think separating both genders is also ridiculous. Reason why coed dorms and bathrooms exist.

#17 TheEdend, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  18. RaRa

So all gay guys are females then? I don't see how that applies to this at all.

19. Gabriel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find it ridiculous to separate people based on things that are a genetic part of who they are, be it their gender or their sexuality. It does seem to have that would unsatisfactory 'segregation' overtone to it. I'm not sure what the right solution is for room assignments in the Marines, but this is definitely NOT it. We need to settle for nothing less than equality, you're right, prismaticlight.

20. Dan82

I think a large part of it is that men are physically stronger than women so it creates more of a threat.