1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay teen in prom case feels ostracized locally, celebrated nationally

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/26/constance.mcmillen.tension/?hpt=C2

2. Charme

Charme Guest

Well there was some good out of this. They did recognize that her rights have been violated. Now they need to work on doing something about it instead of just saying "Hey! You did something wrong! But we ain't gonna do crap bout it..."

3. Just Adam

i must be a cold hearted bastard as ive 0% sympathy. she wanted to take it public make it a big deal she wanted all the attention and she didnt care how it would portray her school of town or its students as whole.

but i dont feel sympathy because you cant expect to do what shes doing then suddenly go oh i cant take it its so horrid the students are all mean to me im hates wah wah,she needs to grow up , its not just about a prom or something simple shes turned herself into a full blown lgbt activist on the national stage and that attracts bad reaction you just have to toughen up as Harvey once said people will be looking at her for hope, other closeted lgbt people will be there looking at her for inspiration and if they see her cowering away now its not all blown over and yay, then i dunno it just seems pathetic and child like.

perhaps this makes me a bad person not caring about her hmm.

4. Kyalii

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't blame her for being nervous - it's always difficult to stand up against something as big as this. I kind of agree with Just Adam, if she wants to make herself into an activist, she needs to toughen up. But maybe she never expected such national interest, maybe she only wanted to stand up for her rights, not for everybody else's in the country. It isn't her fault that the rest of the US has made her an icon, after all. Maybe the answer is, instead of attacking her for being a normal teenager who is terrified of the ostracism and criticism she now faces because of the action of others, we should support her actions and encourage her to be strong. Maybe she will find she likes being in this position of controversy, and grow into it. But theres a decent chance she won't either, and theres nothing wrong with that. Not everybody in the GLBT community is born to be an activist - just like everybody else, most of us are normal people who just want to live our lives.

5. Just Adam

she may not of expected it to get this big which is kinda naive especially as its national papers and tv and she went along with it. again it just screams naive, but the fact is what's happened happened and people are looking at her and she does need to stand tall.