1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comedian to face Human Rights Tribunal

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/03/28/13383781-cp.html

While I don’t approve of what the guy said I think it’s outrageous that he has to appear in court because of it.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wtf. I'm sorry but this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I swear, this is a total case of one of the LGBT community taking things out of context. The comedian was not making fun of this woman because of her sexual orientation, he was making fun of her because she was clearly being a betch.

3. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ I agree, this is going rather extreme here.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhm... unless all of you know what was said and in which way (which I assume is what the hearing is about) how can you possibly say it's unwarranted? If the guy took her sunglasses and broke them, it doesn't sound like he's any kind of innocent.

I'm not saying the woman is either--but why are you jumping to the conclusion the hearing is overkill? Do you think it's all right for someone with power (i.e. he's the MC) to use derogatory speech against an audience member? If I was in the audience and an MC started calling me a fag and that I needed to lick pussy and harrassing me verbally, you can damn well bet I'd consider hauling him to court.

5. biisme

Well, if what he said was true and the women were being extremely disruptive, ignoring multiple warnings, throwing glasses of liquid at him multiple times), talking over the comedians, and generally being assholes, then while I don't think what he said is in any way how someone should talk to another person, I do believe that he was provoked. And, again, while I don't believe that he should have said what he did, and it was completely derogatory and biased, I do believe that there should be more leniency in saying one thing in the heat of the moment, than in a continuing performance of what sounds like extremely bitchy behavior. This is of course assuming that what he said was all true and events occurred as he has stated.

While not condoning the speech used (or the action of breaking the sunglasses), if you treat someone like trash, you're probably going to get a similar reaction back from them.

And no, I do not think is correct behavior for an MC to use that type of language and actions toward an audience member, but I also do not believe a member of an audience should behave so appallingly either.

6. RaeofLite

...well I guess the Anti-Hate Crimes Policy in BC does work after all. Even if it was possible something was taken too far.

7. Just Adam

if you make something so protected that even talking or making light humour about it cant be done then you just make us a dark mysterious un trusted thing again.

i dont know what was said but i think u just need to be grown up and think hmm does it matter what this thinks?
    get all this lawsuit stuff seems no matter what suddenly its " ill see your ass in court "