1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Officer won't be fired for working to keep gay ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Dan82

2. Connor22

And he shouldn't be, he has a right to an opinion, even if it is a narrow minded and un-grounded one, why should he be fired for using his right to free speech?

3. Shevanel

Exactly.

4. Just Adam

i agree he can say it, and we can all think hes an ass hole, this has done more harm to him by letting him sit there and watch as it changes and he can only whimper.

5. Amy

Amy

This.

It would be completely ridiculous if he were fired.

EDIT: The article seems to imply that he told troops to support the ban. Although I believe that he should not receive any sort of punishment for his opinions, I do believe that he should if he did command his troops to support anything political.

#5 Amy, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  6. olides84

The military is a command and control organization. When superiors tell you not to talk about something, you don't talk about something. You have no free speech rights! That's why I could never join the military.

7. Just Adam

this is true it is in part what stopped me as i dont just follow orders when i know they are dumb :s its the old not to ask who and why just do and die :s

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This.

9. I believe in free speech, but the dickhead's "opinion" is wrong. Everyone is the same and they should be fucking treated the same. I don't think he should be fired, but someone needs to educate his dumb ass so he can learn to be more accepting of diversity, which is one of the most important things in this country.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's annoying, but we shouldn't neglect his right to free space.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    qft

12. Dan82

He was encouraging his subordinates to write letters supporting current policy that seems like an abuse of his position.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is, as others have said, the military is extremely hierarchical, and the indoctrination that everyone, but particularly enlisted men get, is that you absolutely do, without question, without thinking, what your CO tells you to do.

It's one thing for him to say "I, personally, am against repealing the DADT legislation and allowing gay people to serve openly." It's quite another to say "This is wrong and you guys should voice your opposition to this directive every chance you get."

Because of the nature of the armed forces, something like that, coming from a CO, is going to be perceived as something they MUST do, without thinking. And in that way, it's wrong... it's an abuse of his status to further an agenda.

14. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why he should:

He was acting in an official capacity and he may not voice such opinions that are contrary to the directive.

He has no freedom of speech. He's property of the United Stated government and is there to follow the orders given.

15. ANightDude

Umm, no. The United States doesn't not own him. He works for a branch of government the United States owns.

Even if we all disagree like crazy, he has a right to say what he wants to say as an American citizen. It's not very mature or smart of him (it may very well end up backfiring on him), but still, he has the right given to him like the constitution states. Just like other Americans do.