1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Animals Be Gay?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magazine/04animals-t.html?src=me&ref=general

2. Beachboi92

this is cool a friend pointed out to me that there is actually a gay penguin couple somewhere that scientists gave an orphaned egg to and they took the roles of female and male and raised it. Penguins are one of the few animals that mate for life :slight_smile:

3. Chandra

The whole article (all ten pages of it!) is worth a read. Very interesting and well-written.

4. Meropspusillus

While I enjoyed reading this article, it depresses me slightly how many people just don't have a clue about anything scientific. It also bothered me that they referred to Albatrosses having "sex", I'd consider "copulating" or "mating" much more accurate.

Also, it's random, but Albatrosses are hardly monogamous in our terms of the word. About 25% of Albatross eggs are the product of Extra Pair Copulations.

Yay for taking Ornithology!

#4 Meropspusillus, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. Chandra

Why?

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

We are animals.

7. mattypants

nnnnO, wE aRE hUMANS, Made In Gods Image [​IMG]

8. paint

both? no...we're bananas (!)

9. Just Adam

glad someoen said it..we are animals hell 3/4 of what wwe do is just developed animali instinct. but anyway back on topic

yes OTHER animals can be, if the animal has teh abbility to mate and form sexual attraction then it has the capacity for homosexuality, i

its everywhere we've seen the penguins !

and my mates dog is gay i cant remember but i think hes a submissive dog haha.....my mate was freaked, its now a strained relationship between them...

in fact thinking of them gay penguins raising a baby makes me happy :grin: as it shows threes always happiness for creatures life just finds a way..

10. Sylver

I find it deeply satisfying that humans are just another species of animal on this earth, and I also take pleasure in knowing that we're not the only species with a homosexual component. Nature is rich with intriguing diversity and there's a lot we could learn from it. For example I can't remember the last time I met a homophobic animal. Kinda makes you wonder why it is that if we're the "superior" species we're the only ones capable of hatred...

11. Just Adam

well its almost evolution really other animals evolved their bodies to help with the basics of living, food gathering survival moment and sex lol... we kinda developed out minds ad so started to develop our surroundings to suit us. its like we lost wings and fins and scales but we were able to mentally move past animal instinct we found love art culture music we found beauty but we also found hate revenge blood lust.

humans from a species point of view are remarkable as we shouldn't have the capacity for our development but we do and its only getting faster.

we evolved into the perfect animal on this planet capable of widespread love or total destruction.

though if a common spider was the size of a family dog it would be the dominant species of this planet but if it was size of an elephant it would collapse under its own weight.

useless trivia.

12. mattypants

though, onT, i think animals can be gay.

objection under the grounds of speculation of human evolution trends :icon_wink

13. Just Adam

over ruled !

14. RaeofLite

That was neat to read. :slight_smile:

Species I've heard that "mate" or co-habitate:
    -Lions
    -Domestic cats
    -Domestic dogs
    -Various species of Dolphins
    -Penguins
    -Ducks (I've seen a pair of male Mallard ducks doing it together)
    -Deer (maybe?) -see my album picture. Usually male deer hang out alone or with crowds of females but not together

15. Meropspusillus

Most birds just mate by touching their cloacas together and the male inserts his sperm into the female. I don't know, but there is something about the word "sex" that just feels wrong.

16. Just Adam

coincidentally those are all species that tend to return to the same mates each season

i still love them gay penguins :grin:

17. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Of topic totally but we share half our DNA with bananas lol :grin:

18. Just Adam

ba-nan-nan?

19. Meropspusillus

That's not actually really true, about any of those animals (except dolphins or some species of ducks, I'm not sure about those). Penguins are highly monogamous during a single mating period, but they rarely return to that same mate the next year. Lions and deer are polygynous, cats and dogs are promiscuous, and I highly doubt ducks have high rates of monogamy. >_>. <_<.

Edit: I'm not saying that they don't for same-sex bonds, or "mate", just that they aren't monogamous

20. Ty

Ty