1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake Prom? Itawamba Dance Was Kept Secret From Lesbian Teen

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/constance-mcmillen-fake-p_n_525856.html

2. Chandra

How very Christian of them to also exclude the students with learning disabilities.

I'd expect this kind of petty bullshit from (some) teenagers, but the fact that the parents and the school administration are condoning, if not actively encouraging, their behaviour is absolutely unconscionable.

3. Zach1992

All of these "parents" & "school officials" have a special place waiting for them in hell...

4. nickmc

I like her attitude! Even after being duped like that, she is still looking on the bright side.

5. RaeofLite

Where's the EC Satan? I'm sure he'd take care of them. :slight_smile:

6. Just Adam

i prob shouldn't of laughed when i read this my bad, especially about the learning difficulty children :frowning2: them i really feel bad for them :frowning2:

but really as much as i wish people were accepting, hands up all those who didn't see something like this happening? ... be honest...

she pissed in the proverbial pool, i mean she kicked up a shit storm ( haha toilet humour ) over al this and won support and the favour of the courts but it doesent change the fact they didn't want her there and her actions only alienated her more :S

but forget it just get over it, if people don't accept you don't fight to be with them like being in an abusive relationships and saying oh he didn't mean to hit me he can change >.>

ah well .

7. Connor22

that's just depressing that the people in power in that school are so petty that they make sure that the kids who are different go to a different prom whilst the cool kids can have fun. They need to grow up

8. mydogstewie

Well...thats the lowest thing...shouldnt her friends have told her about the secret prom...?

9. RaeofLite

Overall, I guess things like this just go to show how "mature" peopple really are. I mean, if they cannot accept seeing diversity and different people than them in life, then they really are extremeist, eh? Almost as if they'd be the type of people to cull people different than them out of society so they would have a master race.. *cough* Hilter anyone *cough* ?

10. Emberstone

it is the fact that the students with learning disabilities was shunted to this one makes me angerier than anything.

That right there is a clear violation of federal law. you cannot discriminate against people with disabilities, and learning disabilities are counted as a protected condition.

11. ANightDude

To be honest, I bet they had a funner time than the other people. At least the student body learned a great lesson. Mess with the LGBT population, a shit storm starts. :slight_smile:

But seriously, it really isn't cool they did that.

I don't think its a violation of law unless it can be compleatly proven. You really can't prove they did it on purpose, even though we know they did. A couple of kids bullying others doesn't really stand up well.

12. Dan82

The event they held was likely private and invitation only so from a legal perspective they didn’t break any laws.

13. Chandra

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I would disagree here. One has to look at intent, and it's pretty clear that the judge ordered (and the school nominally agreed) that she would be allowed to go to the "private" prom.

They then tried to prevent her from buying tickets to said prom, claiming she didn't attempt to do so until after the deadline, and then they supposedly "caved in" and allowed her to get the tickets. So we have a pattern of behavior that appears to support the intention to exclude her, thereby violating the judge's decree. Add to it the fact that the only other people at the "fake" prom were disabled people and it seems like there is a very clear and obvious attempt to discriminate against disabled people (who are a protected class under Federal law regarding education and educational opportunities) as well as Constance, who had a judge behind her ruling that she had a right to attend.

I hope the judge finds a very large punitive award against the school board or, at the very least, costs them a couple hundred thousand in legal fees.

15. ThePug

I can't believe all of her classmates and parents and organizations did not tip her off on the real problem. I wonder if this is because of people not wanting to stand up for her because they were scared or if the majority were bigots.