1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Article on CNN.com

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by s5m1, Apr 6, 2010.

1. s5m1

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/06/granderson.gay.lifestyle/index.html?hpt=Sbin

2. mm91

Myth of the 'gay lifestyle' justifies bias.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/06/granderson.gay.lifestyle/index.html?hpt=C2

I thought this was a really interesting article. More interestingly were some of the comments below. One guy, who says he is VERY conservative I thought said something really great;

"I remember how I used to really not like homosexuals because I always thought it was a choice they took. Then I fell in love. I'm happily engaged now and will be getting married by the end of the year. And all of a sudden, one day, I wondered what it would be like if I wasn't allowed to love her. If I couldn't marry her. If I was hated for holding her hand. If I subjected myself to violence for admitting I loved her. And that's when everything changed."

....he also goes on to say though that he doesn't think homosexuals should be allowed to adopt/raise children. I find this so strange. Someone who seems so understanding yet is STILL so wrapped up in ignorance. I'm not trying to discredit what I posted above, because I really REALLY enjoyed reading that.

Anywho. Hopefully he'll continue to imagine what it is like when we finally decide to make the choice of being happy with ourselves and (maybe this is just me personally) the very real thought of me never having children. A horrible feeling. Maybe when he has children he'll realize that we want that feeling too and that it doesn't matter what the components of a partnership are, as long as there are people who really care for a child.

Edit: Oh and in regards to the article, itself. I love the part where Sally Kern says "homosexuality is more of a threat than terrorism". Very great way to gain the general public's attention by equating basic civil rights to terrorism.

#2 mm91, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  3. RaeofLite

Re: Myth of the 'gay lifestyle' justifies bias.

That's all that matters. I've found that I've met some people and I can help change their views on homosexuality because it personalizes the issue for the person when they see an example of a homosexual infront of them who seems like a decent human being.

Let's continue to spread positive change! :slight_smile:

4. sexyalex

That was a good read. I enjoyed it...

----------

However, I don't see anyone writing about self hating gays. Gays who fight against other gays will to marry, yet...they still go around screwing other men and literally accept the GBLT community for what it stereotypically is.

5. Brad

That really is a nice article. Nothing really in there that most of us don't already realize however i am sure it would be quite insightful to anyone who does think that gay and straight people really are so completely different.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first article was AMAZING. Loved it.

7. nickmc

Thanks for sharing that. I've saved the web address to forward to some of my more ignorant friends :icon_wink

8. RaeofLite

9. Excellent article. Thats the kind of lifestyle I want to live....better half, children, etc...