1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Sends Teen Wearing 'Gay' Shirt Home

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.wsmv.com/news/23070849/detail.html#

2. Just Adam

spineless ass holes, religious freedoms areprotected, we aint ... pfft

3. ANightDude

People wear shirts like that at my school all the time. Hell, one said "Katy Perry Slept Here" on the front and it was fine. Good job, Education System. :/

4. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be quite honest, this doesn't strike me as all that big of a deal. Unless there is a pattern of discrimination then I don't see it as a big deal. I'm completely supportive of Cole protesting for his right to free speech but schools are allowed to determine what is "disrupting" and what is not. Heck, my HS cracked down on just about anything and everything. Different schools have different standards.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny to me simply because...religious things are suppose to be banned from public school. I think there's some rule stating unless in Catholic schools, religious matters (or logos or shirts) are not to enter their hallways...

6. Techcompu2

this isn't very far from me... I don't live in Nashville, but I do live in Middle, TN. this makes me think of the fact that I apparently go to the gayest school in the county.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

But how is it disruptive? That's what I'm not understanding. What, does the shirt have hypnotic properties that is forcing his fellow students to stare at it unrelentingly and not pay attention to their classes? I get that schools have a right to determine what's disruptive, I really do. But I mean, if you're going to say something is disruptive at least make sure the thing you're saying as such is convincingly so. I just don't think there's any way they can say this shirt is disruptive and say that they made that call with good intentions. I mean, if it was referencing sex, drugs, alcohol or profanity I might be able to be swayed to their point of view. But as that isn't the case I'm not buying their decision as anything other than cloaked discrimination.

8. Dan82

How is the shirt disruptive? The school doesn’t have a blanket ban on all shirts with slogans so there is no reason for them to stop him from wearing the shirt.

9. Beachboi92

how the fuck is " I <3 Lady Gay Gay" disruptive..... it is a shirt and like any other shirt you look at it and go either "oh haha" or "wtf" or ignore it completely. I personally love how they say there where some fights earlier that week over something and they felt this would escalate the issue. OK so fights when? over what? between what kids why? the lack of their willingness to show the details of that hack job of a defense really, to me, makes it obvious that this is a case of discrimination.

10. Prccgeek

it is really stupid that they made him change it. trust me...at my school there are much worse things you could see on a shirt and that doesn't count as disrupting...but maybe the school is just really strict about dress codes, I am not saying they are right at all, but they might just be crazy about everything....the article doesn't go into detail about that too much other than the mom's one comment...at least he didn't get in to much trouble

11. Connor22

I want one of those t-shirts for non uniform day... soo much fun

12. RaRa

Lol this is what I thought too. That's an epic shirt!

13. Beachboi92

Lady Gaga Tweeted about it said they discriminated against him, those teachers are fucked hahaha

14. RaeofLite

If being gay is causing a disruption... then perhaps the ENTIRE school needs a pep talk. They need to be educated that being gay isn't a choice, that they should learn to accept people with differences, and if they don't like it, simply mind their own business and go about their daily lives.

THAT is the problem. I think it's up to the school to do things like that.

15. Brad

Lady Gaga has responded,

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/international/5254/Lady-Gaga-defends-teens-Gay-Gay-top.htm

16. paint

^ nods in agreement with Gaga.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Also nods in agreement with GaGa. Its' ridiculous this Weeks guy because he's obviously WEAK. -_- Lame comment I know but just saying...