1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theater withdraws offer to stage gay Jesus play

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/08/2100738/theater-withdraws-offer-to-stage.html

2. Just Adam

spineless losers

its weak willed fools like this that stops progress and artistic expression, censorship of ideas and stifling creativity is wrong, they don't mean to spread any hate or anything just share possibilities, hell its a play, it wouldn't hurt anyone if they don't like it juts don't pay to see it.

3. Emberstone

Hate to stereotype, but what else do you expect from the people of a state that is trying to rewrite the nation's textbooks to downplay the role thomas jefferson, and most of the founding fathers had to play in the founding of the nation because they were diest who viewed organized religion with a degree of mistrust, not the extremely small few founding fathers who were theist that wanted to church to hold the power of goverment...

Censorship is questionable. often, it is done for all the wrong reasons.

If there faith is so weak that it is challanged by a play, they need to stop trying to force that faith on everyone else...

... just saying.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He does have a point...

5. Ashleigh Ann

That is a very valid point.

Oh. And I love your avatar. XD

6. Bradley James

I for one have a problem with Christ being portrayed as 'gay'... I don't see it as artistic at all; why does the gay community, by and large, feel like it has to homosexualise everything? There's a fine line between taking pride in oneself and his/her orientation, and going overboard.

7. Just Adam

this clip says it all starts 6:20

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECBx3mhOpDg[/YOUTUBE]

8. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I totally agree, and I am glad that this play is having difficulty finding a venue here.

Also for the record, this isn't censorship...the government had nothing to do with the decision by the theatre to remove its invitation to the play. The board of directors retracted the invitation...that doesn't equal censorship. No one's rights are being trampled on here, just people in business exercising their choice when it comes to what they will sell. It was probably a good one, considering after reading reviews of it, this play doesn't seem to offer much original intellectual stimulation.

9. HalfInsane

I just find the notion as turning Jesus into a gay character to be silly to begin with. Despite not being religious, I have read the bible; Jesus doesn't express any sort of sexual desires at all, doing so would completely go against his character, if you will. He goes around preaching and healing, not looking for dates. =P

I don't think a play in which Jesus ran around chasing after women would have gone down too well, either.