1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope's No. 2: Pedophilia linked to homosexuality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kenko, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gnpDKs8IpZ8wQ3_kz6yCg3UoyPKAD9F1Q5C00

Now of course it's easy, and many people have already gone into "Let's attack the Church's stance on homosexuality" mode, but really the situation is much deeper than that. What they are doing is instead of dealing with the actual issue of priests' inappropriate sexual interactions with minors , is try and distract the public by deflecting it on homosexuality using third-hand accounts of unknown, unsubstantiated "studies". Not unlike distracting the public by moving known offenders from church to church.

I'm sad more than I am angry.

#1 Kenko, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. MusicIsLife

*facepalm* their arguments seem to be getting progressively weaker and weaker...

3. Nitro

I will be so bold as to make the unresearched claim that priesthood attracts pedophiles, and not celibacy causing sex acts with minors. Why? With priesthood you have access to minors, a position of trust, are part of an institution that has a culture of secrecy, and a perfect excuse for not pursuing relations with adults.

4. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I am disgusted by such an argument. Entirely.

5. Emberstone

I probably should not post in here, because I have been chewed out for talk about these subjects...

...but come on... catholic priests (a male only institution) molesting girls (who are girls because they are female, not male) are doing so because they are homosexual (and therefore, are attracted to boys, not girls)?

Next thing people will be claiming is that blind people cannot talk because their eyes do not function properly...

And people wonder why so many (myself included) are so sick of the catholic hierarchy.

They refuse to properly deal with a problem that is well documented to have been going on for decades, and possibly as long as the church has been going on (seeing as the inquisition did destory as much records on the churches darker dealings as they could while they were finding witches everywhere)

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yawwwwwwn.

7. Ben

Ben

This is coming from Cardinal Bertone. He's notoriously a bit dodgy. I doubt even Benedict would support these remarks.
    The last thing I'd want is this one dodgy quote from one very dodgy man justifying any attacks against the Catholic Church as a whole.

8. Rygirl

I don't understand where anyone is coming from in this whole case,

1) How is celibacy linked to paeodophilia? No that is entirely down to the individual.
    2) How is homosexuality linked to paeodophilia? Again, entirely down to the individual,

And I agree with Nitro, the Catholic Priesthood would be an attractive career for a paeodo.

9. Just Adam

these people are useless >.>

10. Grottodude

I'm surprised I don't see more disheartened Catholics heading for the hills.

11. Emberstone

there is a deliniation between catholics, and the priest. the church has been structured in such a way that the priest are made a honored class, elevated above everything from the congregants to the law...

12. Just Adam

' and a bright disco ball shaped light appeared before them, and the Lord did say " go forth my sons and daughters and build an ark and let it be fabulous ", and so the sons and daughters of God set forth and built a mighty ark with luxurious rooms a sauna, 2 gyms a pool clubs for his and hers....they painted it in all the colours the lord bestowed upon humanity and set sail to the promised land '

MEANWHILE !

' while the sons and daughters sailed in bliss and safety the Lord did rain blood and turned water to fire consuming all those that would do harm within his vengeful grasp '

ahh one can live in hope

13. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

On BBC Radio4 the other day there was a man, I think he may have been a minister, talking about how when he was a student someone who was about to join the priesthood told him that he was sexually attracted to children. The man had committed no crime and was only looking for help and support.

In my opinion, the priesthood tends to be a place that would attract people with socially unacceptable sexual attractions. In the day this probably would have included gay people. I know for myself, being a priest would have been enticing when I was in the closet because coming out didn't seem like an option and being a celibate priest would have seemed like a good way to live a purposeful, functional life without having to accept or tell anyone that you are gay (I'm not Catholic though). For people who are attracted to children, the priesthood must just seem like an escape so they don't have to tell anyone.

But, secrets fester and eventually can come out in horrible ways. I mean, before I came out I wrestled with the idea of trolling online for sex so I could indulge my secret without coming out eventhough that would be completely unlike me.

So yeah, I don't believe that these priests who committed these acts (or at least most of them) joined the priesthood so they could molest children but that it an act of escape which caught up with them in the end.

14. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Channel 4 news reporter in the UK gave me the line of the week when he was introducing this news story. "It is plain to see that the Catholic church have not heard of the expression, when you're deep in a hole stop digging". Perfect introduction to the most ridiculous of stories, I'd love to hear where this cardinal got his scientific sources from because I'll say one thing its hasnt been published in Lancet!

15. RaeofLite

The problem is phebofiles, not homosexuals. ><

I'm sorry, but I'm going to whip out this picture again:
    [​IMG]

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Once again people, things like pedophilia and rape have very little to do with sexuality; they are about an individual demonstrating their perceived power over other individuals. A man molesting a young boy does not mean that he is a homosexual (though he very well might be) or that molestation is connected or homosexuality or any sexuality for that matter. The church needs to realize that and deal with it instead of pawning off their own shortcomings onto other groups of people.

17. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    haha! I feel my life has just began having laughed for about 5 minutes flat at this picture. I love it!:lol:

18. partietraumatic

i just laugh at the majority of what comes out of the vatican under this pope.

This is up there with when the pope said that condoms caused,rather than prevented aids.

All you can do is laugh

19. Emberstone

can we honestly take sex advice from someone who technically is suposed to never have had sex in any compacity or form in the whole of his 80+ year old life?

That is like asking your dog with help solving fractions.

20. KatieIt