1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italy's Highest Court Rejects Marriages for Same-Sex Couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/04/13/bloomberg1376-L0VE4A0YHQ0X-2.DTL

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I'm not surprised, really.

3. Just Adam

well done Italy, way to set back European progress....>.>

4. Shevanel

You know they allow LGBT in their military and stuff too, right? Italy is extremely largely Catholic, chill out.

5. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    haha! well we are talking about a country that put Bellasconi into power...nevermind gay marriage.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Which is why it shouldn't be a shock to anyone; it's not like they dropped a bombshell here people.

7. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

The country that surrounds the Vatican?! NO WAY!!!! They denied same-sex marriage?!

8. dude99

dude99 Guest

well if Spain which is known as a traditional catholic country which the government there legalised gay marriages a few years ago, so can Italy someday.

#8 dude99, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  9. Just Adam

i dont want to chill out, its ok to fight and die for your country but not marry the one you love?

of course, totally rational...my mistake.

10. KatieIt

Oh yeah we've got a loooooooooong way to go, I'm afraid. Actually, things in Italy are getting worse every day. I don't think it's going to get any better any time soon. As the latest regional elections prove it, the racist, sexist ('women should be child-bearers and housewives'), homophobic 'green league' party is now basically ruling the country. I fled the country for a reason. People are so dumb. Apparently, having a PM that throws parties with hookers is cool, oh yeah, what a macho, really. Gays? They're all communists anyway.

Oh I'm so p****d off. And what about the whole priests-paedophilia scandal. It makes me wanna puke. I'm so glad I'm not living there anymore.

11. Shevanel

I never said they weren't going to.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Look I'm not saying it's wise for them to be doing what they're doing, but it's not as scandalous as everyone's making it out to be. Italy has made a reputation for itself and it's sticking to that reputation. It's not a huge surprise.

I heard similar things actually. And it really sucks, but hopefully pressure from the surrounding European countries who are more progressive will (eventually) signal Italy to pick up its game.

13. Just Adam

that's not the point it is wrong and i can be outraged by it even though i expect it. and just because Italy has a reputation for not valuing equality doesn't mean it can be used as some kind of justification for it to continue and hopefully they'll see the light. we cant live with ahh well, we need to feel something about these things.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh whatever. By now I'm just not surprised anymore by the world.

15. dude99

dude99 Guest

That sounds no different from the Republican party under GW Bush presidency.

16. Emberstone

except they justifed all their actions by saying god elected GW bush, and that God loves what they are doing politically.

17. RaeofLite

I still find it rather ironic that the Romans (ie: Rome, in Italy) once had same sex and opposite sex relationships and yet, now they don't. Yay for the dark ages....

18. Emberstone

I have very little trust in the italian court system. I have heard nothing but cries of corruption about it for years.

19. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know much about Italy, except that I love it. Hopefully they'll come around sooner or later. It's such a romantic place, so I'm willing to bet that their tourism would increase substantially if they were to allow it.

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

"Hearing about" and "Researching" are not the same thing. Forming an opinion without fully researching a situation or experiencing it is an easy way to to misguide yourself as well as increase ignorance to a certain situation.