1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Friendly Career fields?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Is there such a thing? Does it ever even matter? I'm thinking about being an elementary school teacher? Has anyone here done that?

2. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While some careers may tend to be "friendlier", there's GLBT people in all careers, and even within a given career path, friendliness it can vary drastically from company to company, location to location.

You should pick a career based on what you enjoy, with some practical considerations such as ease of getting a job, and income.

There are many GLBT teachers in the education system. Though as with hetero teachers, one has to be extremely careful with personal life issues when you're a teacher.

3. I can imagine how being a teacher and gay would conflict. I'm still not entirely sure that I'm going to do that. I just want to make a good living, I would like to make good money but thats secondary really. I've thought about marketing or art too. But teachers get summers off and in some parts of the country teachers make good money. Like in houston I can make 46,000 my FIRST YEAR.

4. Mogget

I think it's more a question of employer than field. My employer is *very* LGBT-friendly, and that's true regardless of what you do for them.

5. paint

Teaching is a hard job too. Anywhere, but Houston for sure.

6. Well I know Teaching is hard, but I love seeing kids come up with new ideas and when get it, that lightbulb moment, I love seeing that. Thats why I've thought about being a teacher

7. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    policing is easily a good one, I don't see how being queer would influence realestate or being a lowyer or a doctor or nurse either.

8. Windmills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There were several openly gay teachers in my high school (all female), and my middle school principle (male) was also gay. I never heard of anyone having an issue with it, but I also don't think too many students knew. I knew because two of them were our neighbors and my mom works in the school system. So I definitely wouldn't rule out teaching just because you're gay. But I do think with teaching, location would be very important. It'd be a lot harder in a very conservative, non-accepting area. Also, it would probably be less of an issue in a city where it's less likely that any of your students or their parents would know or run into you outside of school and, therefore, know your sexuality.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately it seems it is now. American Family Association and such are trying to prevent a gay judge from being appointed to the Supreme Court justice. They say:

"[A] gay judge's sexual preference will, without any question whatsoever, 'interfere with their job.' It's not possible for it to be otherwise... We simply should not elevate to the highest court in the land people who are known for engaging in sexually abnormal behavior which would technically make them felons in a quarter of the states over which they will have jurisdiction." -- Bryan Fischer, American Family Association

So it seems now AFA is trying to prevent gay men and women from jobs too.

Anyway I just wanted to bring that up and tell everyone to also http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/s/NotAFactor sign this to Obama. Sorry to bring this up but it does fit the topic of LGBT job fields and such...

10. Connor22

the song "in the navy" springs to mind, I know that doesn't really help but I thought it was funny

11. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm kind of thinking of joining politics. It's a decision that I'll probably laugh at in a few years, or months.

12. I'm still going with teacher.

13. Dan82

As if the AFA won’t oppose anyone Obama names.

14. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I guess I should've stated "outside of the USA" huh ^.^;
    <- canadian

it's probably perfectly fine for most of Europe too.