1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Based Ex-Gay Program On Global Crusade to Convert Gays, Says Truth wins out

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by dude99, Apr 16, 2010.

1. dude99

dude99 Guest

Truth Wins Out founder Wayne Besen will give a presentation in Belfast on the harm caused by the so-called “ex-gay” industry, which unsuccessfully tries to turn gay people straight through prayer and therapy. The multi-media event is sponsored by Changing Attitudes Ireland and will occur on Wednesday, April 21 at 7:30 PM in the Central Hall of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church, Rosemary St.

The following day, American ex-gay activist Alan Chambers, President of Exodus International, will host the “Leaving Homosexuality Celebration”. The anti-gay event is sponsored by Core, a fundamentalist ministry that claims to, “support local churches in their efforts to provide appropriate pastoral support for those with unwanted same sex attraction. The service recognizes God’s grace for many individuals making the journey out of homosexuality.”

“Exodus is targeting Ireland and other countries because they have been thoroughly debunked and discredited in America,” said Wayne Besen, founder and Executive Director of Truth Wins Out. “Their antiquated efforts are rejected by every respected medical and mental health organization and they have left a trail of hurt and suffering. Having failed at home they are now looking for fertile territory abroad where they can exploit desperate and vulnerable people and profit from their pain. We urge people to explore the group’s dismal record and history of scandal before giving Exodus money.”
    http://www.truthwinsout.org/pressreleases/2010/04/8148/

In my country Exodus is quite active and I was a part of a organisation by them unfortunately. It was one of the worst ever decisions I ever made to do. I was relieved leaving all that bs behind from exodus.

2. Miss Bubbles

Tell me how it goes

3. Just Adam

oh those poor poor exodus people i feel so so sorry for them :frowning2: they're coming to the UK to get us to pray the gay away?

they will get murdered :frowning2: they wont get out of Ireland alive.

they've really not thought this through

----------

the USA just protests and holds signs and sings, we riot and bricks and fire and shouting and fists here and broken bones there blood in the street

oh they will need divine help

4. Emberstone

oh, we get riots and brick throwing... just pay attention to tea partiers, and liberals on earthday. I live in oregon... we always see earth day protesters in portland start riots and smash downtown windows and storefronts up.

cause the best way to save the planet is to destory things....

*rolls eyes*

5. Just Adam

hmm then they are stupid for coming to the uk then lol. they'll get on the stage and all they'll hear is your shit ! and get your tits out for the lads.... and the guy will go excuse me?

6. Connor22

I hope nobody minds but I think I will quietly leave the country (by boat... damn you iceland) for a little while

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Haven't a few prominent figures from Exodus come out and said that not only can ex gay therapy not change someone's orientation, but it's actually harmful to do so to people? And they're still trying? Talk about lack of caring about the wellbeing of others.

8. Just Adam

my views on pray gay away treatment were summed up in the episode : cartman sucks

it is traumatising to kids minds. depression suicidal tendencies :frowning2:

9. Ornicus Orca

I think that they wont have much success, we don't have the same "free speach" you do in britain, the Home Office barred the WBC from entering the country for there slander against homosexuals, and the country itself, i think and hope these "exodus" people also get barred but even if they do get in and start doing whatever they are going to, we arn't as religious as america, and i dont think alot of people are going to believe them....

10. Shevanel

Random question, (well not really random) but do these types of things cost money?

11. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well in theory these programs supposed to be free, however there is a small fee each time you turn up to them and it depends on location. There are some ex gay programs that do cost quite a bit and there are cases of people spending thousands of dollars for these type of therapy and it depends on the type of therapy. Its really sad people can resort to this.

12. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They can, and it can add up to substantial amount (since of course it takes a long while to cure teh ghey). Google some first hand accounts. People can waste thousands of dollars and years of their lives at these crappy programs.