1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass. gov. candidates split on transgender bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/p...ass_gov_candidates_split_on_transgender_bill/

More here:
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...nee_baker_of_flip_flop_on_transgender_rights/

#1 Dan82, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. xCrazyInsanity

Further in the article
    What the FUCK is wrong with people.
    So you don't want to discriminate, except if the minority is small enough to be ignored (<1%)

Besides transgender people, offering unisex bathrooms allows parents to take their opposite sex child to the bathroom, rather than allowing a 8y/o alone in the mens room in somewhere that you dn't know the people

Mothers who have sons are not a minority, Fathers with daughters are not a minority

3. Emberstone

"Social conservatives have dubbed it the “bathroom bill,’’ contending it would sanction unisex bathrooms and locker rooms."

Republicans want to get their gay sex in the bathroom, they just dont want transgendered people to feel safe while they go to the bathroom.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I live in Massachusetts. There's no way in hell that anyone would elect more than 1 Republican in major office at the same time (referencing Scott Brown), especially since the vast majority of the population is Democratic.

Just saying.

5. RaeofLite

I still don't understand people who make fun of transsexuals or the transgendered. Why would someone inflict the pain and discrimination on themselves willingly if it wasn't how they internally felt?? :frowning2:

I find myself sometimes making comments to friends who make negative comments about the trans community, gently correcting them of course.

6. xCrazyInsanity

Apparently we're all crazy, we have some mental illness that prevents rational thinking.

Or something like that anyway. Who knows. Maybe people just hate for the sake of it.

7. Emberstone

I know only one transperson personally, and even so, all I can say is that I did not know it until they told me they were a transexual male, and had been born a female. Jake is incredibly nice, and is in no way threatening.

Republicans like to make threats of everything that doesnt threaten anything *gays, transgendered people, non-christians, other ethnicities, europeans (emphasis on the french), athiests, agnostics, etc*

It is easier to label any and everything that isnt them as evil.

Politics is screwed up in general, but throw the homophobia, racisem, sexisem, anti-forgiener, anti-freedom of religion, anti-seperation of church and state, etc... and it all gets even worse.

8. Dan82

As a former resident of Massachusetts who still follows Massachusetts closely I think if it’s a two person race Baker (the Republican) wins, the only way Patrick is re-elected is if Cahill stay competitive. Also the majority of voters in Massachusetts are registered independents.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

As a now (and always will be) resident of Massachusetts I can assure everyone that Massachusetts is not as Democratic as you would like to think. I said this before in another thread, but (as our local news anchors said repeatedly after Scott Brown won) Independents in this state outnumber both registered Democrats and Republicans (as Dan82 said) and it has been like that for some time before Scott Brown was elected. A lot of people are displeased with the travesty and embarrassment that is Deval Patrick, so I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a Republican governor getting elected so easily. Anyway candidates are a lot of talk and hot air around election time, their actions might (and often do) change once they take office.

10. Just Adam

if transgendered people are such a small minority group then by giving them equal rights of protection being such a small group it will have little to no effect on the wider social issue surely?

this guy is countering his own damn argument ! .....oh we cant make them equal it will ruin the social balance even though they're small ....IDIOT!!!!!!

everyone should be equal...

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Being a registered independant doesn't mean that you don't float towards one party.

12. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    What a dumbass.

----------

Hate to break it to you, but over half of the independents I know or have heard of have been libertarian kooks.

13. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I think you misread my post. I was trying to say that independants can be more apt to vote towards a single party. For instance, my father is an independant but tends to favor the democratic leader, whereas my stepfather is independant, but always votes for the republican.

#13 Swamp56, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh. You're right.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

But you said in the first quote I have here that the vast majority of the population is Democratic which just simply isn't true. The vast majority of the population may be liberal causing them to sway more towards voting in league with the Democrats but the two terms aren't interchangeable.

16. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

:|

I was speaking in terms of the way in which Massachusetts citizens vote, not their actual registered party.