1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACLU Complaint Takes On “Decoy” Prom For Mississippi Lesbian Student

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/aclu-complaint-takes-decoy-prom-mississippi-lesbian-student

2. Just Adam

oh ffs get over it... its their right to not want her at the prom >.> the fact is it was a private get together and they can invite who they like, and frankly im fed up with her going its because im a lesbian attitude >.> perhaps they just don't like her cos she gets all wound up like this...

theres no case ....she cant do anything... it was cruel but not illegal. she needs to grow up and get over it. just say fuck you to them all and move on with her life.

3. olides84

^Totally don't agree with you. Would you have told the blacks in america who had to sit in the back of the bus, drink from separate water fountains, and be segregated into low-funded schools to "ffs get over it"? I for one am glad that she and the ACLU are continuing their battle. If you don't fight for your rights (even to paaaaahhhty), you're gonna go nowhere fast.

4. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry, but if anyone needs to grow up in this situation, it's the school system.

5. Étoile

:eusa_clap

What they did was wrong and discriminatory. If this was because Constance was black, I'm sure you, Just Adam, wouldn't be telling her to "grow up". How do you expect for us to receive our rights if we don't fight clear-as-day discrimination?

6. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Stacy I am shocked with your response. She was a student in that school and they didn't let her go because she was a lesbian, they flat out said it. I am disgusted that you think she needs to just get over it. It is not a "private get together" it is a party where all of the graduating students get together and she had every right to be there.

7. Just Adam

they held a private prom she wasent invited ...theres not a lot you can do, and i dont agree with making a fuss about something that cant be changed....the original prom and the issue of her bringing a date i was against the school and she got national support, the prom got axed and then offers and then a private prom... ...

but whatever....

8. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not only would I say it's a great thing for Constance to fight discrimination, but I would think that continuing to fight this issue would also be important so this shit won't be pulled again with another kid in the future.

9. Grottodude

Remember it wasn't just Constance that was not invited to this "private" prom, alongside her were the disabled students. The people who decided who should and should not be at this prom should definitely be ashamed of themselves for being the vehicles of utter discrimination. I wonder if they thought, if they threw it, no one would know about it. Utterly deplorable.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was a private prom (idk if I'm getting it right, but paid for by students or parents, NOT the school) they should be able to invite whoever they want for whatever reason. If the school was holding the prom they should not be able to discriminate...

11. Tim

Tim

Laws in America are different than over there.

You have to think about where said thing takes place before you state an opinion, to be honest. Otherwise your opinion is flawed.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah dude, you're foolish for having this attitude. I can bet you ANYTHING that if they did this to you you'd be just as pissed off >_> Don't ever act like you're all that and say it wouldn't matter as much to you. It totally would >_>

13. Étoile

So if they said, "No Blacks, Latinos, or Asians allowed." or "No fat people allowed." then it'd be A-OK?

14. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If the ACLU is going to go all the way with the case, then I'm sure there is decent legal ground for the lawsuit. I mean the school did make a "sudden" transition, and the judge did permit the school not to have to host another prom on the promise that she would get an invitation.
    I mean the parents and school have been acting shady since the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if they screwed up somewhere along the way.

Regardless, this was an egregious violation of her rights.

15. MusicIsLife

This reminds me of the Marc Hall case back in 2002 in ontario, very similar case. I hope it ends the same way, with Canstance being able to go to her prom.

& Just Adam, in the words of the beastie boys: you gotta fight for your right to party! Even the littlest things can make a huge difference on the gay rights front. Look at Rosa Parks, it was a small action that-from what I know-started the Civil Rights movement.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sticking with what I said, if parents and students are paying for it, not the school, then they can invite whoever they want.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't matter. The parents did it to shun Constance and the learning disabled students. This pisses me off double being both a gay man and someone with autism.

18. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

That would only be valid if school officials had no hand in planning the prom even if the funding came from outside donations (see: parents). However, judging by most news articles on the topic there were teachers/staff at the secondary prom. This is discrimination and I am glad that Constance is continuing to pursue legal action. This will set a precedent not only to protect LGBT rights in schools, but to protect disabled rights as well.

But I'm not an expert in law.

To tangent off for a moment while looking through the constitution in Mississipi, I did come across some horrifying laws though.
    For example:
    Holy frick! Interestingly enough, it is directly contradicted by this next one (italics are mine):
    And now resume this inane debate over whether or not we should fight for our rights even if it is 'irritating'.