1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duke College Republicans chairman claims he was ousted because he is gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.dailytarheel.com/content/leader-duke-college-republicans-forced-out

2. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not surprised at all.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Big surprise...

4. valerievalerie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has anyone been following the case of Christian Legal Society v. Martinez? It has some similar issues of not allowing members because of sexual orientation. I know I don't have to tell you guys that this sort of thing has been going on a lot on campuses.

My class on Civil Liberties has been reading into the Christian Legal Society case and asking the big question of whether to rule in favor of expressive association, which in Dale v. Boy Scouts of America indicated that private groups could exclude members such as homosexuals within the bounds of the constitution. Or if the court should rule in favor of the law school in that they have the right to use their anti-discrimination policy to protect homosexuals from unconstitutional discrimination.

Tricky stuff when you break it down. In our hypothetical case, I ruled in favor of the anti-discrimination policy. I can link to that case if anyone is interested. Just saw some parallels.

5. Meropspusillus

If a group can not allow homosexuals in, what's stopping them from not allowing people of other races in? Discrimination is discrimination, and while there is a giant taboo (rightfully placed though) on racial discrimination in our country, it's not so different from discrimination based on sexuality.

6. valerievalerie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my reasons for going against the Christian Legal Society and for the anti-discrimination policy is that they have not given a reason why allowing homosexuals into their club would hinder their goals and motto. They are defending themselves by saying it's the right to expressive association, but they haven't said how allowing homosexuals into their society will hinder that at all. Mainly because, in my opinion, it won't. It's just discrimination and nothing more.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the real question - is he still a Republican?

Lex

8. valerievalerie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahaha, yes that is a big question.