1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dozens Walk Past Dying Hero

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by paint, Apr 26, 2010.

1. paint

I wanted to make this thread because the first step in solving a problem is making sure people know about it.:frowning2:

There's a video...

#1 paint, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sad. Just because the man is homeless, he's a hero, and people are too idiotic to stop to help. I'd have called 911 right away if I saw him on the ground, probably would have tried to stop the bleeding and perform first aid, even if I didn't know he was a hero, all life is sacred in my opinion (except like the murderers and umm people like Hitler lol).

3. Nitro

The bystander effect - in which a person is less likely to help another if other bystanders are also present, is well documented in social psychology. It sucks, but know that this was not the first, nor the last time people will do nothing for someone who obviously needs help. The best thing one can do is be aware of this tendency and reach out to help.

Link to the famous case of Kitty Genovese http://www.nytimes.com/1995/07/25/nyregion/reviving-kitty-genovese-case-and-its-passions.html?pagewanted=1

According to initial report, 38 people hear her screams, including "Oh, my God, he stabbed me!" and "Please help me!". The murderer came back after stabbing Kitty to rape her. No one so much as called police until much, much later.

#3 Nitro, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. chow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is just unimaginably horrible. Getting stabbed is horrible enough, but having nobody stopping to help while you bleed to death? gosh...

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This actually doesn't surprise me. I wish it did though.

6. kittycat16

kittycat16 Guest

People are so stupid for not helping that man

7. D_Alejandro

Disgusting. These things continue to destroy my faith in humanity more and more each day.

So sad.

8. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was going to mention Genovese, but someone already has. So yeah, this event is disgusting and disturbing but at the same time not much of a surprise. If only people would look outside of their own lives for a second or so.

9. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm surprised you've any faith left.

If it doesn't benefit oneself, people are less likely to do anything.