1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8 trial could wrap up on June 16

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14976668

2. Jesus, this shit is retarded! Why did Proposition 8 have to pass in the first place? Still, I'll be happy as long as the judge rules in favor of logic. That would help the movement regain some of its momentum.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pray he rules in favour of us and not the bigots...if he rules in favour, I have this feeling...many many people won't be happy.

4. Dan82

There will be a lot of people upset no matter how the judge rules. Precedent limits how he can rule, no matter how he rules the results will be appealed, so the way rules isn’t all that important.

5. notquitebutch

If this gets to the Supreme Court, it will be very interesting. Scary, though.

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I dunno, I don't live in the USA and yet...I can't help but stay in tune about it...I want it to work out...

7. Emberstone

Glad the ACLU finally stop being petulent little hypocrites about the internal documents. prop 8 supporters had to turn theirs over, so it was only fair.

Also, if the prop 8 supporters use those documents to attempt to blackmail people again, like they did during prop 8 with donors, threatening to release their information publicly unless they gave a equal or greater ammount to yes on 8, well, such behavior only helps us fight against those ass kissing biggots.

8. British Lad

British Lad Guest

what is prop 8?

9. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    A proposition to amend the California Constitution to define marriage as being exclusively between a man and a woman. It was passed by voters during the 2008 election, the same election when Obama was elected to the presidency. Outside of the Bay Area, conservatism is frighteningly strong in California- even Los Angeles County approved it.

I don't expect the courts to overturn it, unfortunately. I anticipate disappointment.

10. Emberstone

The court trial is to declare if prop 8 is constitutional, or not. Given the 14th ammendement, which makes such propositions unconstitutional, and the state of california *including it's republican politicians in higher state office* saying it is unconstitutional, and refusing to defend prop 8, it is unlikely the court would rule with the yes on prop 8 people.

The federal constitution is clear that states cannot pass laws that defy the constitution of the united states, and the 14 ammendement says that no privliedges or rights can be denied to one citizen that is grant to another.

11. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Building off of my previous post, I forgot to mention that before prop 8 was passed, same-sex marriage was legal in California.

And to Emberstone, I'm still not going to set my hopes much higher. Courts find a way to oppress gays for no real reason.