1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cross Dressing Teen fights school, WINS :D

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by D_Alejandro, May 4, 2010.

1. D_Alejandro

You guys, look at this.

http://gothamist.com/2010/05/03/cross-dressing_allowed_to_go_to_pro.php

I am SO proud of him. As an actual friend of Derrek, I was moved to happy tears when he informed me of this. Let's give it up for Derrek! What he has done is tremendous.

He is an AMAZING and wonderful kid who has gone through a lot in his life and I am SO happy that he is finally getting the happiness he deserves.

LGBT VICTORY! :grin:

2. Chandra

Wow, and he was even crowned prom king! Awesome!

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the part I love more, that he won Prom King in a dress :grin:

4. blueeyedcutie

That's great news, I was very sadden by Constance story and I'm happy to see one that was won :slight_smile:

5. Miss Bubbles

Omg what an inspiration

6. xCrazyInsanity

that's seriously epic win for tolerance.

7. AlyssWonderland

YES. :grin: That just made my day a whole lot better. Go him! <3

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that's a nice story. But if he is a woman inside why would he accept winning prom KING?

9. D_Alejandro

I couldn't stop smiling when I first found out!

And he's a cross-dresser though. He's still a boy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. xCrazyInsanity

^^ a comment in the article reads "What makes me a woman is inside and it doesn't really matter what's on the outside"

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. So he's a woman, not a boy. According to his preaching. It's like me winning prom queen.......

He basically denied his gender identity by doing so...

12. Beachboi92

He got voted prom king he didn't decide he wanted to be prom king, if anyone where in that position then it would be hard to go "um no i won't accept that" if anything by accepting and winning it he shows there is more of a tolerance, and it simply makes the story more inspirational. Even if he feels like a women society has currently deemed him a man so he has been deemed a prom king.

Ultimately i dont see why people would come into this thread that is about a landmark decision for equality and make a complaint about him getting prom king.... Besides that his personal identity can be more androgynous than man and women. I interpret what he said as "i am a man, biologically etc but emotionally and spiritually i am a women." I equate it to the idea of indians two-spiritedness. The fact that his identity didn't pose an issue for people in him getting prom king simply shows a very wide array of acceptance for people who do not identify on the more concrete ends of the spectrum.

although seriously who gives a crap if he accepted prom king, that was a thing done by other people who identified him to that. Hell maybe they did it because he wanted to dance with a women. regardless it just shows a more accepting environment. I am hopeful one day we will have the Prom Couple as opposed to king and queen because hopefully gender and such wont matter.

ok rant sort of over. So how about people focus on the issue of "this is a landmark decision for equality"

If you want to talk about wether it was right for him to accept prom king etc etc make a different thread as to not derail this one.

13. Chandra

You don't know what his gender identity is. Cross-dressing doesn't necessarily mean he wants to fully identify as a woman. The fact that he continues to call himself "Derrek" shows that this is probably not the case. There are gender identities that fit outside of the binary (androgyne, genderqueer, berdache, etc.) and he may identify more closely with one of those.

14. D_Alejandro

Thanks to both of you for sticking up for him. <3

This was NOT intended to raise negativity. Quite the opposite. :slight_smile:

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if this was a 'landmark decision for equality,' he would have won prom queen, not had the fact that he was 'still viewed as a male in society' shoved back in his face by being awarded KING.

16. D_Alejandro

Stop being so negative....sheeesh.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just saying! I bet the school just gave him King to shove it in his face. "You're a man to everyone else so to shove it in your face, we will award you prom KING and not QUEEN."

18. Beachboi92

Or your just being obnoxious and as stated if you want to talk about it make a new thread and stop diverting from this one. Regardless Gender identity goes beyond male and female as Chandra stated (and you conveniently ignored) if he did not identify in a way that made the winning of Prom King appropriate then he would not have taken it. After all he can go around and get people to sign that he should be able to wear a dress to prom, i'm sure he could say "hey btw i identify 100% as a women so im not gonna accept king". Besides that the idea that a school or body of students would 1) understand his gender identity enough to award him prom kings out of spite, and 2) after supporting him so much would try and spite him (which it didn't do he was honored to be regarded highly enough to win the title of prom king) is completely ridiculous.

so to wrap it up so you cant ignore it WHAT CHANDRA SAID in addition to what i said. Take the pointless incorrect negative argument somewhere else. To say that this decision was less important because he won a great honor at his high school prom is stupid at best.

But at this point im pretty sure your one of those people im ready to just hit the ignore button on, based on the stuff ive seen you post on this forum and in more than just this thread.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously. Get over yourself. I don't need to make a new thread to talk about something completely relevant to the current thread just because you don't like it. And you don't get to tell me what to do. Especially when it is something that makes no sense for me to do.

I think it's really great what he and his peers accomplished. I just don't understand why they would award prom king to a person who identifies as a woman, and dresses like a woman. Why not prom queen. As I said. It is like me winning prom queen. It just does not make sense since I am not a female. He fought so hard to be considered a woman, and then he accepted a male-only award.

But, he seems like a good person and I don't want to shit all over his accomplishment.

Btw, go ahead and ignore me. If you can't tolerate opposing opinions I don't want you to read anything I have to say as much as you don't want to hear it.

20. Chandra

Once again, you are assuming that you know how this person identifies. Dressing like a woman does not automatically equate with identifying as a woman. He has not chosen a female name, does not seem to be insisting on a feminine pronoun, and does not appear to have undergone reassignment surgery.

It's great that you're wanting to stand up for transpeople and see them treated fairly, but there are people out there who are happy to be somewhere in the grey area between male and female presentation. He seems pretty happy to be a boy in a dress being crowned prom king, and if he's happy, where's the problem?