1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kagan nomination ensures that LGBT issues will play big part in confirmation process

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 10, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.dallasvoice.com/instant-...s-will-play-big-part-in-confirmation-process/

More Here:http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalp...rd-law-schools-office-of-career-services.html

#1 Dan82, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Re: Kagan nomination ensures that LGBT issues will play big part in confirmation proc

In April CBS published a blog post by a former Bush administration aide saying that Kagan’s nominiation would help Obama “please” much of his base, since she would be the “first openly gay justice.”

This is exactly what I thought. To me it appears like he's only picking her to get gay activists off his back.

3. Dan82

Re: Kagan nomination ensures that LGBT issues will play big part in confirmation proc

If that were their motivation they’d acknowledge that she’s a lesbian; the way they’re handling it seems incredibly foolish.

4. Gaetan

I think they're trying to make it a non issue, in probably a very bad way. If she is a lesbian, that could hurt her confirmation in the eyes of the conservatives. If she is, and her supporters are able to argue the fact that it doesn't matter in her judicial judgment at all, then she, quite literally, should come out and admit it.

However, if she dodges the question (regardless of true sexuality) during the proceedings, that can only be a bad thing that would reflect badly on both her and Obama's administration.

If she is, she needs to (wo)man up and admit it.

5. Emberstone

Technically, there is no proof she is a lesbian.

the haircut is not enough.

the CBS story was unfact checked... which is what CBS news stories tend to be.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

The way they're handling the country seems incredibly foolish, but that's not stopping them from doing it. But that's just my view of course.

7. Dan82

The conservatives will oppose any Obama nominates no matter who it is, so I don’t think it makes a difference there. I don’t understand why the White House is acting the way it is.

----------

Just about everyone who is acquainted with her knows she is a lesbian.

----------

Right but if they were trying to improve the Presidents standing with gay voters by nominating a lesbian they’d at least acknowledge that she’s a lesbian. Unlike last year Kagan was chosen for no other reason than that the Obama administration thought she was the best person for the job.

8. Meropspusillus

Not to mention, she was on the shortlist of Justices to nominate last time too. This was before Obama's so called "rift" with the LGBT voter-base.