1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass. Catholic school won't admit lesbians' son

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 12, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...mass_catholic_school_wont_admit_lesbians_son/

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

People like this should remove the damn bible out their asses once in a while and see what they are doing...

3. Shevanel

It's too bad really. Hopefully they were a shitty Catholic School though. I'm pretty sure there was at the very least one girl in my high school when I was there who's parents were lesbians. And my Catholic School didn't give a fuck.

4. haelmarie

I really think that it's their religious freedom to do this. I don't support it, but the kid is being saved from the horrible experience that is catholic education.

5. Shevanel

I don't exactly agree with the 2nd part =/ It was extremely far from a horrible experience. Extremely. I'm actually insanely glad I didn't go to a public school around here.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Figures. That's all I can say cause I'm not really surprised.

7. Alex19

to those who r religous, i mean no offence, but this is the consequence of allowing religion to exist. so far as im concerned, it will continue to b used as a tool against minorities despite what kind until we do away with it. im not saying get rid of god, but i am saying get rid of organized religion. or at least cut out the parts in the bible that promote discrimination/hatred/biggotry... so thats pretty much half the bible i think lol

8. paint

far from it

9. Bryan90

I propose a hypothesis that getting rid of "organized religion" entails much more.

Today, we might be tempted to say that organized religion only includes Christianity, Islam, Buddism, etc. But if compared through characteristics, I argue that Atheism, Environmentalism, Capitalism, Communism are also part of "organized religion". How do we get rid of ALL of them?

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

While its unfair and I don't like it I think its the school's choice to admit him or not.
    Its a Catholic school and they teach the bible a certain way. If you don't agree with it then why would you want your kid to attend the school in the first place?

I think it is ridiculous to complain about it.

11. EM68

This is so disgusting! I grew up two towns over from that school.

12. haelmarie

Oh hey, that was just me being cynical and bitter. I really don't mean to pass judgement :icon_wink

13. Alex19

thats a good point. and maybe, like i was hinting towrads, getting rid of anything that can cause hatred/discrimination/biggotry should b thrown out the window. i know this will never happen, but im just sayin...

14. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

This is repulsive.

Why can't Catholic schools be like the one across the street from my public school?

[​IMG]

If you're wondering why the building is so small, that's because that is the Administration sector of the building. Not the actual school or church.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Good for them :grin:

16. Shevanel

That would require the destruction of the human race :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That comparison is moot.

Catholicism, and some of these other religions being brought up, has two things that even "mainstream" capitalism, communism, environmentalism and atheism all lack: An organised central bureaucracy, which sancitifies the second thing, a dogma which impinges on the human rights of others.

18. Bryan90

Disclaimer: I think I am going to deviate from the topic. Original Poster, if you want this post deleted, simply indicate so, and I think the Admin would be able to delete it. I won't take a scintilla of offense.

Comparison: (Caveat: My opinions are subjected to logical error. Feel free to criticize)

1. Organised Central Bureaucracy:

Let's do a little tracing. When a "conventional" religion grows, the community forms, and they establish organisations for the purpose of their religion. Today we have quite a number of them - the Vatican, Aglican, Mormons, etc.

When a "ideology" forms, the community also get together and establish organisations for the purpose of their "ideology". Today we have quite a number of them too - PETA, GREENPEACE, etc.

Now, some "contentional religion" communities are extremely powerful and it can impose its influence on a very wide amount of people. Those who are against its beliefs might suffer - like LGBT identified individuals.

However, if you look at it, so can the United Nations, IMF, etc. These organisations are imposing their "ideology" to a lot of people out there. And those who are against their ideologies will suffer too.

2. Impinges on the human rights:

"There is no such thing as rights, only privileges"

Human rights is rather a new ideology, but a "ideology" nonetheless. If Aliens were to invade earth and subjugate all of us, I don't think they'd care too much about "human rights".

Being an ideology, "human rights" is ENTIRELY subjective. We might believe that the right to marry is a human right. But if the church disagrees, how can we say that they are "objectively wrong"?

I feel a little eerie when I see the stark similarities between "human rights" and "conventional religion" - a set of conditions that people believe as "objective" that should be imposed on the entire world.

19. Emberstone

who would actually be inane enough to send their children to a school that is both compelled to, and required to teach said children to mistrust and hate who their parents are?

20. littledinosaurs

Agreed.