1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canada isn't quite a gay-marriage utopia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chandra, May 13, 2010.

1. Chandra

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...parks-rights-at-the-door-lawyer-93697824.html

2. Alex19

well nobody should have to do something against their will, that i can agree on. but i dont think there should b anything to worry about. just cause a select few r too stupid to be intelligent doesnt mean that everyone is gonna do that.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

The title of this thread is basically what I've been trying to tell people for a long time.

4. Dan82

Are these marriage commissioners government agents or private? My opinion of the ruling is dependent on whether or not they are agents of the state.

5. Chandra

Generally I agree, but if a person can't perform their full duties as a secular government official due to personal beliefs, I don't think they should be in that role in the first place. As somebody in the comments below that article pointed out, what if a marriage commissioner refused to marry two people of different faiths, on the premise that it goes against their beliefs? That would never be considered acceptable.

----------

They are government agents.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank-you. You know we simply LOVE people criticizing Canada. So thank-you soooo much >_>

7. Phantasma

We criticize the US on an almost regular basis.. turnabout is fair play.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow that's stupid! If you work for the government you should have to know the government is not based on religion.

9. MusicIsLife

It's the praries, what do you expect?

On a side note, they work for the government, and it is their JOB to perform marriages. Regardless if it's male/male, female/female, or male/female. If it was a priest thats another issue altogether. They need to quit bitching and get on with it, or find another job.

10. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I pay my taxes to the state, I expect any employee who is receiving my tax dollars to perform any service to which I am legally entitled. If they can't then I don't want them having my taxes.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes because there are so many things to criticize them about. :slight_smile: The way Phoenix put it pissed me off plain and simple. It was almost as if Phoenix was saying we've had nothing but wrongness about us. Which is untrue...

12. littledinosaurs

This.

13. Just Adam

if you work for the state and your beliefs don't allow you to perform the job to a satisfactory standard... the govt should get rid of them and get people who can do the job.

simple really if its against their beliefs for equality and love then they shouldn't be there, though if private its their right to do what they will but agent of the state must follow orders.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I don't give a fuck if it pissed you off, it is what it is :]. And it's not a gay utopia like I said before in another thread, when something goes wrong here people scream, "THIS IS WHY I WANT TO MOVE TO CANADA," as if leaving here is somehow going to eradicate homophobia and bigotry. It gets real old real fast.

15. Jim1454

Given this is the first situation like this I've heard of, I'd say it's likely one of the best places to be...

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Canada still seems to be miles ahead of the USA.

There is only 3 (last I checked) states here that allow same sex marriages.
    As for TV you guys have gay characters in shows for teens, he almost never have that in american tv shows.

17. Emberstone

wow... you really love to read alot of things into things that arent there. the thread title refers to gay marriage in canada, not canada as a whole, including every little thing that has happened, is happening, and will happen.

to get back to topic, goverment officals have no moral or legal right to refuse to do their job. if they dont want to preform marriages, then they have a requirement of getting a new job.

Dont want to do you job... then your fired.

18. Meropspusillus

Yeah, I mean, so what people are bigoted in Canada, and some of them are government officials...SURPRISE?! Canada isn't a gay marriage utopia, but can you tell me a country that is? The fact that gay marriage is legal in all of Canada already makes it much better than the states in that regard.

19. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well Saskatchenwan is largly rural and much less comspoltion than other parts of Canada so its no surprise there there are many there much opposed to gay marriage.

20. Chandra

I agree that Canada is way ahead of most countries with respect to marriage equality, but I just think it's important for us not to get too complacent, and to realize that we still have a long way to go in terms of social acceptance.