1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We got on the news!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HalfInsane, May 15, 2010.

1. HalfInsane

Our school was, originally, going to take part in the anti-homophobia week. There was different events planned for each day. So I was thinking "Hey, this is great".

Well... apparently so many parents called in, outraged at the whole thing, it's now been all but canceled. The assembly? Canceled. The Walk for Tolerance? Not happening. They are, however, allowing us to do the "rainbow day" activity (each grade has to wear a different color of the rainbow).

The one that really irks me though, is that, for a sort of silly/fun activity Friday was going to be gender bender day (you dress as the opposite gender). Obviously, participating in that would be optional... however, the school has made it clear now, if ANYONE is caught dressing as the opposite gender, you can be a) sent home, or b) suspended. That's right, suspended. For a harmless event that you don't even have to take part in. :rolle:

So, I am not the only one ticked off; a lot of students and some of the teachers think it's ridiculous. And as for myself, and every friend of mine I've talked to, and (hopefully) a lot of other students who were intending to be part of the Gender Bender event are going to do it anyways. So... it'll be interesting to see what happens come Friday. I know our principle is homophobic, which made me surprised that the event was even going to take place in the first place. To add to it, he's just an asshole to begin with. I wouldn't put it past him to attempt to suspend someone. But, if enough people participate, he can't suspend half the school, can he?

I'll keep you guys updated.

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Re: School is threatening suspension for participating in anti-homophobia week

That what i like its people fighting against things like this. :grin:

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wow....

hopefully it turns out well thought. :grin:

4. wherewulfe

do it anyway, show that your not going to backdown against something wrong even in the face of extreme consequence. then let people know how your school is. bonus points if you get in the news.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is something you should e-mail the ACLU about. It's clear discrimination and frankly you are at a PUBLIC SCHOOL and in Canada. The parents have absolutely no freaking right to stop a school sanctioned event. This isn't a private school they're funding, so last I checked, they can't really prevent a school event >_>

6. Beachboi92

I would participate in it all anyways and try and get some parents to call in for the opposite reason (outraged that their kids are being treated this way for trying to participate). I would also participate in the different days. Although i am curious what those days are :x I would def try and get a petition signed to have the assembly and walk rescheduled. Also if you can find a way to let a local news station know or something because this to me seems like a big deal. Especially now that people are not allowed to discriminate based on gender expression. For example my school does a thing for halloween where kids can dress up however they want so if your school does anything like that i would use it to argue that the cross dressing thing is no big deal for just a day if the kids do not act disruptive.

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I know enough about Canadian law to where if they suspend anyone for doing that, they will get in a lot of trouble and will subject themselves to multiple possibilities of lawsuits that could cost them millions.

8. HalfInsane

I guess I wasn't too clear above, sorry. :icon_redf. At least 30% of the students (so far) have made it pretty clear they're going to take part anyways, myself included. Same with the Walk for Tolerance; a bunch of people will be doing it at lunch regardless.

The assembly, I'm afraid, is out of the question. We really can't do much to get everyone together without the staff taking their classes there.

And media coverage? Oh, that'd just be the icing on the cake actually.

@Lady Gaga: Yeah, they're definitely asking for lawsuits with this one. I'd like to see the principle try to suspend the gay students (who will definitely be taking part) especially. We're all pretty much straight A students; it'd just look bad. But to be honest, they're not going to suspend thirty percent, or more, of the students from the school. They're just trying to scare us. Sending students home? That could well happen. I'm thinking I'm going to arrange for everyone who gets sent home to sit out in front of the school, and make a big ugly, media attracting scene.

#8 HalfInsane, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  9. Beachboi92

^make sure to let local media know if you want the coverage i think it deserves it especially if law means they can't discriminate against you guys on this one. Try to find a local LGBT friendly or more liberal station though ( i guess most are but just make sure cause the more liberal the better for coverage in your favor)

10. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada

call up CTV or Rogers. CBC would be a good one for sure since it'd be able to broadcast via radio :wink:

the funny thing I find about this is that this is in BC. BC is one of the more pro-alphabet areas...

11. HalfInsane

I'm thinking trying CBC, or Global BC (it's more local, so might have better luck). Hopefully, we can get most everything planned out Monday. Our local news just won't work, sadly. For one, it's just... well, it's lousy. The city I live in only has 11'000 people (so it just qualifies as a city anyways), and I have a feeling no local papers or radio stations would be keen on the idea.

At worst, if we can't get any news media, I have a feeling we'll still get a pretty big mob in front of the school; everyone in town is going to know about it. :slight_smile:

Edit: it just occurred to me... if we actually get any attention for this, my word, it could be one dramatic, bloody, scary coming out to my extended family. Oh well... s'pose it was only a matter of time.

#11 HalfInsane, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  12. Myke

Myke Guest

Have you tried reaching out to your school board?

13. HalfInsane

They're part of why they're canceling everything... sadly.

On a better note! While I was at work, it would seem someone has already gotten Global BC in on this. They are (at least) going to do an interview- I'm going to ask if I can perchance talk to them, myself (oh God what my family will think if I get interviewed xD. Best coming out ever? I think so). And, it also sounds like a bunch of people are going to dress in drag and get interviewed for the news as well. If the school still doesn't change it's mind about this on Friday, I'm pushing that we go ahead with having all the people who got send home standing in front of the school for a sort of peaceful protest, so we can get that on the news, too.

14. Sylver

I am soooo impressed by your actions! This just makes my day. Go get 'em and then tell us how it went!! :slight_smile:

15. Chandra

Yeah, great work to you and your classmates for not taking this sitting down.

Not necessarily. I currently live in the part of BC that's considered "Canada's bible belt". It's very white middle-class conservative Christian. I don't know where the OP is from, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear of something similar happening here.

Offtopic: I see that you're from the Shwa. My condolences. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I lived there for ten years and I still go back every year to visit my family, so I'm allowed to make fun. :icon_bigg)

16. HalfInsane

Holy shit, I'm going to be on the news. I'm leaving to be interviewed in fifteen minutes. I'm sooo terrified. xD

Anywho, off I go to out myself to my extended family, and piss off the school board, on Global BC. :confused:

17. biisme

Tell us how it goes! I'm sure you'll do great! :slight_smile:

18. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

(!) Good luck :eusa_clap

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Really just got goose bumps reading that!

You are soo freaking kickass for doing this and havign the courage to do it
    Hope it all goes well :grin:

20. HalfInsane

So, unfortunately we were a bit short for time. He did a really long interview with my one friend. Me and and the other two people got to make a short comment, as did my friend's brother. I'm not sure if my brief interview will get in. We did have a bunch of random clips of us acting as if we're discussing something on a piece of paper/reading the facebook page on it though xD. So, at the least, I'll be "Blonde girl looking at article/Facebook page". Oh... I'm on the road to movie stardom now.

We would have had more time, but he had managed to get an interview with the head of the school board so he needed to go talk to her before she went off to some meeting. There'll be a good 45 minutes of footage, which needs to be shaved down to two and a half minutes.

Ah well... being able to actually say something woulda been nice... but I'm not too upset. xD

This is still going to be enough to send my family through the roof. So, when they all descend upon me, snarling, I'm just going to tell them that yeah, I'm gay. And there will be blood.