1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White House: Kagan 'Volunteered' Info On Sexuality Before SCOTUS Nomination

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 16, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/14/white-house-kagan-volunte_n_577059.html

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm still VERY confused to what is happening

Here is what I get so far.

She is rumored to be gay but shes actually not.
    She is still very pro gay rights
    Some people don't like that?

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Wait, is she a lesbian or not?

4. littledinosaurs

Why does it matter?
    I don't think it's legal for congress to ask about her sexuality during her nomination process and the more that a big deal is made about it the worse congress will look if they shoot her down without very articulate reasoning.

5. Emberstone

omgawd!!!! I NEVER NEW I COULD GET A DOCTORATE STUDYING LESBIAN SOFTBALL LEAGUES!!!

I am totally going to demand my school offer said program immediatly!

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

It matters because half the people are screaming "SHE'S A LESBIAN!" the other half are screaming "SHE'S NOT A LESBIAN!" And I just want to know. ;_;

7. Dan82

The White House says she’s not but a lot of people who know her thought she was:http://www.juliansanchez.com/2010/04/20/the-kagan-kerfuffle/
    So who knows, either a lot of people got the wrong idea of The White House isn’t being honest.

----------

There are no laws limiting what Senators can ask during confirmation hearings, but I doubt they’ll ask her. The only thing that’s relevant is if she has a long term romantic partner people appear before her on the court should know who that person is so they know she doesn’t have a conflict of interest.

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Who. The. Fuck. Cares.

All this speculation (which is founded on an absurd and stereotypical idea) does is sell a lot of newspapers; that's it.

9. littledinosaurs

Well I don't think there are laws specifically for it, but I would think that they would have to adhere to the laws that dictate what an employer can and can't ask a potential employee. That would make the most sense to me.

10. Beachboi92

"does a picture of Elen Kegan suggest she is a Lesbian" that is possibly one of the most ignorant fucking things i have ever seen published in a newspaper...... i mean really REALLY that is some desperate attempt to get people viewing your paper. This whole thing is a bunch of crap. gay, straight, bi or anything else they cannot discriminate against her based on sexual orientation or gender identity so this is a bunch of crap.

11. Charme

Charme Guest

AMERIKA CARES. In all seriousness, America cares a lot. By America, I mean the Senate.

12. Dan82

Nope normal employment law doesn’t apply to Senators during confirmation hearing they can ask whatever they want and vote against a nominee for whatever reason they want. When Reagan nominated Robert Bork one Senator said the reason he voted against him was because he didn’t believe in God. There no way that would be legal anyplace else.

13. Bryan90

"Is sexual identity our business, or are we a nation of busybodies?"

I like this line...

But I guess, we humans have always had the taste for these sort of entertainment, don't we? I just need to look at the number of seasons of "Big Brother" to quite safely conclude that "we are busybodies".

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Why don't you?
    this is a HUGE deal if she was to actually be a lesbian.
    if not, then at least we are going to have someone up there that will def back us up when the right case comes their way.

15. Connor22

16. littledinosaurs

hmmm, that's very interesting.

17. Bryan90

mmmm? Even if she were lesbian, it does not mean that she'll back "us" up, does it?Sexuality might be very low on her own priority.

Well I do concede that perhaps one's sexuality does affect his/her views, but I guess, I would prefer ideally if people try their best to see things from a wide perspective and not just support "queer" issues because they are "queer"; ideally....