1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football player tells other football players to stay in cloest

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by dude99, May 19, 2010.

1. dude99

dude99 Guest

Outspoken AFL player Jason Akermanis has denied that he's homophobic after urging gay players to stay in the closet because the game isn't ready for them.

The Western Bulldogs star says it would be unsafe for players to be openly gay and it could make other players uncomfortable since they think homosexuals suffer from some kind of disease.

"There's been a little bit of a gay hunting going on where we're trying to get people to come out," he told the Nine Network on Thursday.

"I'm not sure that's very safe and healthy for the competition. What you do in your private life is your business."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1054622

#1 dude99, May 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Unfortunately when you're in the public eye a lot you don't have a private life.

3. NickT

Right, because ignoring the problem and treating gay people like they don't exist will TOTALLY fix homophobia in the game...sigh...

4. Beachboi92

5. ArcaneVerse

Just remove the "game" and more then one problem is solved. =P

6. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

nah i kinda sympathise with sports stars. it cant be good for you when ur in the public eye so much and having to try hide what little private life you have. if they come out then thier career is over. unfortunatly fans (maybe only a minority) will start verbally abusing them during games or whatever and at times might even get violent. this will only distract the player from what he does.

there was a show on tv last week exploring how people reacted to a rugby star that had come out. he seems to cope well but it highlighted what people deal with. they went round asking what viewers thoughts were. some fans said they wouldnt mind as long as a gay player does his stuff on the pitch. but the same fans also said they didnt like gay people and it shouldnt be happening. personally i am disgusted by the two faced ness of these people. i mean just cos he is gay they think bad things? i think just now footballers in particular get a rough ride from all fans (even straight ones), and thats just around stupid little things.

7. Bevo

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/gay-afl-players-should-stay-in-closet-says-akermanis/story-e6frg7mf-1225869051935

Great! thats all we need...another bonehead espousing ignorant stereotypical bigotry. I do not sympathise at all.

I'm not a sporty person, but I'm informed enough to be totally sick of the over macho and overly idiotic attitudes of some of our sportspeople. The same argument is used in America for the army 'dont ask dont tell'. There is nothing wrong with being openly gay and in professional sports.

The longer we emphasise people's differences, the longer gays are considered 'unacceptable' in professional sports.

8. TriBi

The encouraging thing is that, during the course of today, Akermanis has been been pretty much unanimously criticised by his colleagues and peers in the sport for his words. He is something of an attention whore after all - and this is one way of getting it.

What I think would be the best analogy if anyone (eg Akermanis) were to be concerned about having a gay team mate, would be to say that there would be nothing for him (or any homophobic players) to worry about.

Just explain "it would be about as pointless as a straight male footy player trying to pick up an avowed lesbian" - it just isn't going to happen. There is absolutely no point in a gay footy player trying to crack on to a straight guy - people can't change their sexuality (which gay people know better than anyone else!)

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is - we don't KNOW. In nearly every sport, we have yet to have somebody have the balls to come out while their sports career is still an ongoing concern (let alone right at the outset). And it appears that nobody has done it mainly because...nobody has done it. And so we don't know the ramifications. It's easy to say "they'd be hounded off the team" or "the fans wouldn't support a team with a gay player"...but we don't know. Because nobody has done it. Because nobody wants to be the first.

I understand why nobody has. It's because if it ends up the theory is right, you've ended a career you've spent your entire life preparing for. It won't be like "Oh, I'll move to a new town and get a job playing (sport) there, and this time I'll stay closeted." Can't do that in sports.

Lex

10. Brad

Jason Akermanis is probably the most hated AFL player by fans. He is extremely arrogant and never thinks before he speaks. I just find it funny that he was sort've trying to pass his article off as if he was speaking on behalf of all the AFL players out there. When really he is talking shit to try and get attention and other players and even his own club are trying to distance themselves from these comments as they are aware of how stupid he sounds.

If a team isn't a strong enough bond to be able to accept each other for who they are then they are obviously not a very good team.

#10 Brad, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  11. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. partietraumatic

not quite true, maybe in american sports, but in britain there have been a few. One in particular comes to mind, Justin Fashnu.

He was a football (soccer) player, a pretty good one too. He was the first british black player to cost £1 million when he moved clubs. However early in his career there were rumours about him visiting gay bars. His career stalled as the manager of the team he was playing for banned him from training with the team, when he found out Fashnu was gay. His career went pretty much down hill from there. He later said in interviews that he found it hard to find someone to play for, as most clubs didn't want to give him a chance. He got hostile fan reception and though he said he was generally accepted by other professionals, they did make malicious jokes about his sexuality. However many of his former colleagues turned on him, saying gays had no place in football. His brother, also a footballer, even publicly disowned him.

He later committed suicide.

So, tbh, i can see why players are reluctant to do it. Is it worth jeopardising a lucrative and dream career? I can see why a player wouldn't do it, and why this guy is saying its probably better if they don't

Yes its sad, but i can't blame gay sportsmen for doing so.

13. Bryan90

I think sometimes it's unfair that we disregard certain "concerns" as "homophobic" without much thinking and without providing constructive advice.

There are some genuine concerns that we might be able to relate to. Some straight guys do feel a little awkward when showering and fooling around with gay guys. Instead of shouting "homophobia" and barraging them with criticisms, shouldn't we instead provide some educational advice on how to reduce the awkward feelings?

14. Connor22

I see where he's coming from... but that doesn't mean I agree with him, that said, the whole closeted hunt thing is pretty stupid but thats what you get with a seven digit salary and a double digit IQ... and the first digit being a zero

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only heterosexual people who have a problem feeling awkward around homosexual people either have self-esteem/confidence/other related issues to work out or they are grappling with same-sex attraction themselves. Those who are truly secure and confident in themselves are not bothered in the slightest by gay people because they know that nothing will change their heterosexuality, not even "guilt by association" (in other words, being friends with gay people).

16. Bryan90

Ah.... So suppose that you're right. Suppose that the main root causes are related to self-esteem and confidence. Then shouldn't we address these issues to reduce the problem of feeling awkward? You probably would agree with me that it's more constructive than accusing them of prejudice and discrimination, no? After all, I believe we can all, to a certain degree, relate to self-esteem and confidence issues, no?

17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That has always been the truth. Ignorance is the root to any form of prejudice. The easiet thing would be to educate all the homophobes, but that is not always possible. So, if you can't educate them, what else can you do but to tell them to suck it up and get over themselves?

18. Bryan90

Perhaps you're right. But sometimes, I feel that we'll get nothing done by attempting to fight prejudice with more prejudice. I've always been hoping that one side will take the high road...

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Yeah, its defenitely hard to balance it out, but one thing is certain. The guy that said this has no tact and is amazing at being a douche

20. paint

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocG5tqBd0QU&feature=PlayList&p=E4F79789C5200850&playnext_from=PL&index=25[/YOUTUBE]