1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay files: history's grim closet

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 23, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/gay-files-historys-grim-closet-20100522-w2t9.html

2. KnightAssassin

I think I Am notoriously homosexual too

3. sexyalex

I must be slow...cuz I don't get what the paragraph is reading---at all. Someone with a high IQ break it down 4 me pl0x.

:lol:

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Basically it's saying "Gay people had it bad."

5. sexyalex

6. Connor22

well what do you know history was wrong and we were oppressed in the past, lets try looking forward shall we? we have things better than ever right now and hopefully we will finally get full equal rights with straight people. The oppression is over and in the past MOVE ON EVERYONE!

7. Emberstone

Wasen't J. Edgar Hoover a notorious cross dresser? Doesnt mean he was gay, though some have pondered that possiblity too. Seems strange that, *pending I read the quote correctly*, he was somewhat nefariously interested in homosexuality as a bad thing.

8. DexterMorgan

This should be turned into a movie. It would be an awesome movie.

9. kettleoffish

holy shit. I don't think I ever realised quite how deep homphobia ran in the not very distant past.. some of this shit is only 10 to 15 years ago.

10. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

At that time (post World War II), the USA was undergoing the harshest wave of McCarthysm and the government fiercely persecuted communists and 'those suspected as such', as well as homosexuals (who were considered perverts).

The scariest aspect of it all is the use of state intelligence agencies to barge in people's personal lives (something that still persists these days).