1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Gaydar' is real

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by notquitebutch, May 28, 2010.

1. notquitebutch

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Shame mines is completely shot! :lol:

3. AlyssWonderland

If I have a gaydar anywhere in me, I would like to someday be able to find it.. it might help me with not falling in love with gay guys/straight girls.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow....that's just...awesome.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Based on 42 people. Really? xD
    It would be awesome if it were true tho haha
    Now....how do you turn it on again?

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being a bit cynical? Is like 42 people bad? What would you prefer, a 1000?

7. littledinosaurs

Well, it is barely above the threshold for a sample size that represents the population well (statistically), but it's small step that could lead to better, more thorough research.

But the findings are still pretty cool.

8. pteen

i never thought about it that way before.
    AWESOME! :lol:

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, kinda lame. It's not actually real. It's just a learned trait that not only gay men can get. It's called being more perceptive. Of course gay men are going to be more perceptive of other gay men.

10. subaru000

About the attention to detail portion of the article. At least once a week, I seem to look at any random object around the house (i.e. there's a smiley faced looking indentation in the wall in my bathroom, food scrapings that leave some kind of thing I find funny, Sun Chips that look the shape of the sun (this one actually happened)) and I interpret it differently than my twin brother and mom. Maybe it's a coincidence or maybe my 'keen eye' is a gift?

I think 42 people of various sexual orientation is more than enough for a survey of this type. It takes only two people to strike glances about three times and start a conversation. The addition of straight people only helps to reinforce the study by having something to be compared to as far as the findings.

Good report and now I have something to blame for why I notice things so randomly.

11. paco

paco Guest

although i like the idea, i still sit on the side of..this conclusion is a bit..farfetched.

42 for a sample size is a very small number, barely enough for a t-test 1000 would be much more accurate, but then it would have to be repeated to get any sort of conclusion, and i'd be interested to see the margin of error because it would have to be pretty exact for the test to actually say anything with any sort of certainty.

sorry i've taken a business statistics class, and i had a bit of time in a research methods of psychology class.. they told me what goes into a good study and our project with 88 participants wasn't accurate enough to qualify, and it was a much simpler study.

they're also reaching a bit far to get gaydar out of noticing details and big picture. the male and female brain work differently in a similar way as well. they should reference these things.

i think in reality this article is just a proclamation of "man bites dog," bit of a shocker interest story. oh well..

12. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

Mine sucks. Srsly. My mum notices gay people more than I do. >.<

13. kettleoffish

gotta love the Daily Heil..

14. xCrazyInsanity

I don't see how that little experimant proves gaydar

15. Bryan90

Wait a minute, first, this article is telling us that gay people have better attention to detail skills....

And then it goes to say that because we have better attention to detail, we "notice" gay people more easily.

First, it must establish that there is a correlation between sexual orientation and a traits.. (which I guess it has, if its research methods are valid). But then to link it to the gaydar, we must first establish that there is a correlation between sexual orientation and "noticeable" factors. (which I guess some would agree)..

But yeah... quite a lot to prove..

16. InaRut

Hmm...My gay day either detects closted people or It just really sucks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. RaeofLite

Some ways I put my 'gaydar' to work:

-Pay attention to how the person acts with all of their friends. Are they focused on one person of the same sex and then don't act the same way with other friends of the same sex? (ie: do they hug or be more affectionate with someone of the same sex and seem standoffish with the opposite sex)?
    -How is their style of dress? Is it stereotypically gay?(This isn't always a sure fire thing of course...)
    -Where is the person looking? Are they checking out guys? Or girls?
    -How does the person feel about gay people? Are they negative? Positive or neutral? (This can also be a non sure fire thing since some closeted people are very negative and some people that don't mind the gays aren't gay themself)
    -Does the person have gay/bi friends? (Could be an indicator...)
    -Also, pay attention to their use of pronouns... "My girlfriend/boyfriend and I..." "My "roommate" and I do everything..."

18. TroubledRyan

I think I got a pretty good gaydar >.>

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine use to be completely broken, these days though I find I've been doing okay :S Some guys I've been spot on with, but I have been wrong with others. So it's often half and half for me. Though it did use to be 10% right, 90% wrong.

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The sample size in the study is too small.