1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've changed my mind on gay adoption, says Theresa May

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 29, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8696102.stm

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Lets see how long this "change of heart" lasts…

3. Connor22

about ten minutes

4. Ben

Ben

Well she couldn't not say this as equality minister.

5. Ty

Ty

I'm meeting Theresa May next week for a documentary I'm in. I get to ask her anything I want :grin: Should be interesting...

6. Connor22

ooh post it up on here plezzzzzzzzzz

7. Just Adam

fact is she voted against same sex rights she voted against adoption she didnt show up for 4 ! votes on transgender equality ...>.> ...im sure she voted against same sex marriage not sure .....or she may of supported it cos the front bench of the torries did cos they saw it would be modern political suicide not to

fact is the torries are still from the era of prop 28 so sod them.

lgbt rights will get binned so fast under this government

i did watch he trying to squirm out of this at the time...and she was like umm umm um well ah well no no no thats not true im oh im im ....* eyes darting about like a cornered rat * .... fact is shes as supportive of equality as the daily mail is of the Eu >.>

8. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

Sigh. I think it would be political suicide, though, if they did. It's good that Nick Clegg is second-in-command now... at least we have some hope left. :/

9. Just Adam

all hope is fleeting ... he has no power... he can say what he wants and cameron can just say no as he is pm and clegg is only a side kick... and if the lib dems quit ...the torries will soon see it turned into the lib dems fault make them the enemy...

:frowning2: so far,,,,, 18 days in nothing mentioned or even hinted at for future refference on same sex rights so yea :S

10. Ben

Ben

They're not going to go backwards on gay rights.
    We can't really expect huge changes so quickly from a Conservative government, but as far as everything stands I'd say there aren't really many more rights to be had. Blood and marriage are the main ones. And those are probably low down on the priority list what with the economy and everything.

11. Just Adam

its a coalition benji :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: dont forget that lol poor lib dems already torries lol

same sex marriage is a big thing equality has to be at the heart for all decisions...

hmm ... the city will manage its about time we had a govt that focused on the people and not bankers and big business in london.

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It's just been a little over half a month. I'm not sure how quickly you expect progress, but it usually takes far longer than that.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you pretty much just answered your own point there. It has been 18 days.

I would be mighty pissed off if they went into government and the first thing they focused on was LGBT rights. The country is in a fragile state, like many countries, so I am willing to forgive them for not immedietly coming to my rescue and throwing same-sex marriage and other rights at me. I would much rather keep my living conditions solid than have them ruined because of the government focusing elsewhere. Granted, we deserve full equality, but life sucks. we're not exactly in an awful situation here when it comes to LGBT equality, so I don't think them focusing on the economy for the first three weeks of leadership is something that warrants twisted knickers.

Also, same-sex marriage hasn't been voted on in parliament. The Civil Partnership Act 2004 was backed by all three political parties, but the Conservatives just had more Nay votes than any other political party. Theresa May, alongside many other frontbench Conservatives, voted in favour of Civil Partnerships. My point? Conservatives suck when it comes to LGBT equality, but they're unlikely to start rolling back rights. Peeps really need to stop being airhorns and demanding priority over certain issues within society. There just comes a point when peeps either need to go out and do something or quit whining.

This is coming from somebody who dislikes the Conservative party. I just think it's insane to expect them to do anything regarding LGBT equality after 18 days when the country is trying to recover from a recession. LGBT rights aren't perfect, but they aren't preventing us from living a decent life either. As Chris said above, these things will not happen overnight. Nor will they happen if we sit around complaining about it whenever a news article pops up.

14. Just Adam

its not just this.... ive not seen anything on policys or stuff they are working on other than budget cuts ...

the govt is saying were charging this this this and and stopping all this ... so its like >.> give with one hand take away with others ... except they aint giving yet... its early ... but usually by now they start to say what they want to do and work on ...give some hope to people ... all ive heard from them keepin my eye on this is a) cuts b) can this govt being right and left work ... >.> and political scandal

but still positive :slight_smile:

15. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

It takes a bit longer than 18 days. And what don't we have, in the UK? S'all right. Better than the states.