1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massachusetts High School cancels gay themed play

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 30, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2010/05/26/news/7442829.txt

More here:http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO143107/

#1 Dan82, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That's not really that bad. The same students that voted to do it, voted to cancel it. They obviously just did it to avoid conflict.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given the overtones of violence and drug references, it might be a lil over the line for high school students in a school-sanctioned production. While I'm against censorship, I do think one needs to be somewhat thoughtful about what sort of material is being presented, particularly if younger high school students are present.

4. Emberstone

why we werent allowed to do 'West Side Story'. the administrators said that they were worried about the slight glorification of gang activity.

5. Rygirl

We weren't allowed to do a production called 'A Mothers Voice', cuz its about the Black War in South America and Amnesty International. The School Board decided that it was too bloody and horrific for children as young as 11 to star in, so we got pulled 3/4 of the way through the production.

It sucks when you've worked hard on something, but you can't stop school boards from being overly politically - correct, after all they have to please the masses of the parents or they loose their jobs.

6. Dan82

A few years ago a high school in Massachusetts (a different one than this incident) canceled West Side Story because they thought it was racist.

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This is my exact opinion.

8. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I think it's completely wrong to cancel a school show unless the students themselves speak up and state their problems with it... My high school did the Laramie project and everone was 100% behind it, despite the protestors outside of the school during the show.. In fact, there were more people with signs against the protestors than protestors themselves... The fact that a massachusetts school would cancel a show due to homosexuality seems odd to me. We are one of the more gay-friendly states and I like to think it's become a bit of a non-issue here... but maybe that's just what I want to hear because I live here...

PS. I also didnt read the article, so forgive me if I said something contradictory to the article lol

#8 zzzero, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

"The student-selected production, part of a one-act drama festival, was canceled after drama students voted to drop the play."

10. Mitchell

Sad... just sad that some have to ruin it for all.