1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama - June LGBT Pride Month

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mydogstewie, Jun 1, 2010.

1. mydogstewie

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-LGBT-Pride-Month/

2. Corny

Corny Guest

for real? wow .. was this announced before, or is it a surprise? that almost seems surreal, considering how carefully away american politicians and politics usually stay from LGBT pride :slight_smile:

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Translation: "I'm paying enough attention to you so that those who don't already realize I do nothing for the LGBT community won't suspect that, but not enough to do anything actually beneficial."

Plus, didn't he declare June LGBT pride month last year too? I could have sworn he did.

4. mydogstewie

Yeah he did last year also. We should make it every year

5. AlyssWonderland

6. Emberstone

sometimes, people mistakenly assume the president has powers they actually are not given.

His hands are tied unless congress acts. executive orders only go so far.

7. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha ha ha who cares if his hands are tied? Honestly, when there is a month that is for something, how many people do you think actually recognize it anyways? So why cant we make it our month? We should just start calling June of every year LGBT month. Hell there are enough gay people, and gay friendly people (and considering there's a lot of us out there creating the world people live in) that we can just start calling it that and it will eventually stick...

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like feeling like we "need" a month like black people have one. :/ But ehh, I mean maybe it will help I just don't like feeling like we're such a minority. But I guess that's how I should feel because we are...............

9. Emberstone

until congress picks up their effort on gay issues, all obama can do is try to convince congress to pick up on their effort.

Honestly, a symbolic gesture is better than no gesture at all.

10. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Am I the only person happy about this?

I know he did it before, but it's good he's continuing it.

I also think the LGBT community is in need of a pride month. It's better than Asian pride month.

Who hates Asian people? No one.

11. 4 seat

That's kool. And my birthday is in June. It fits :slight_smile:

12. chained butterfly

At least he's trying to do something. All the other arsehole presidents didn't do anything......as far as i know.

Hopefully congress stops being such a dim ninny..

13. Just Adam

people here are disappointed and happy im just angry and fed up.... what good is the guy if hes no authority really? he can say what he wants but cant do anything? wow lame :S ...

hes been going on for so long now about doma and dadt and whatever and were no closer its getting more press sure but the people who can change these things are still going umm ....no ... just no ...

they're more stubborn than a maid who wont leave your house... no mesa stay.

i stand by what i said last year the world looks to the US in these matters the land of the free where anything can happen the place built on dreams... if they take a massive leap and say hmm yea people are actually equal then i believe the world will take notice and follow suit... its starting to happen slowly because the US is still going slow but the more places in the US bring about same sex marriage and equal rights till the whole of the place is friendly and accepting then other places shall follow....well countries that at least acknowledge that the word liberal exists anyway ...

hmm

as for pride we shouldn't need them but its a piece of lgbt culture so thats life.... and when the Birmingham pride is said to make £10 million i think its here to stay.

14. British Lad

British Lad Guest

out of interest why don't people overthrow the old congress and make a new one after all it needs changing and what is more powerful: 40 old men or 10000+ strong pissed off angry mob?

15. Just Adam

depends whos holding the guns :wink:

16. kettleoffish

because the people elected congress. further reading.