1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lt. Dan Choi is fasting for the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Jun 1, 2010.

1. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugadgjnkBkw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I am concerned for his health. I understand why he is doing this, and I think it is a noble cause, but there are better ways to deal with this issue. He could possibly end up starving to death because of this. He's more useful alive, and he should be doing other things to reach his goal. What he is doing right now is very self-destructive, and it could have serious consequences. I hope he will live through this.

If, and IF, he is successful in making the repeal faster, then I think he's a hero. Since it's unlikely that DADT will be repealed before December, I think he's going to end up pulling the plug on this protest or being a martyr. He's a very intelligent person, and it would be horrible if he lost his life because of his protest.

Still, he has a point. The study they are doing is fucking stupid, and it is not necessary. The votes (and polls) are in, and nobody wants this stupid policy anymore. Obama could end it TODAY. Too bad he's a coward. If Lt. Choi's protest makes Obama do the right thing and sign an Executive Order (similar to the one that Harry Truman signed), then he's a hero. Too bad Obama wants to play it safe. I'm disgusted by how much of an ass he is being, but I still think that Lt. Choi needs to stop. I don't want to see him get hurt. This protest could cost him his life, and it ultimately won't help anything in the long run because of Obama's lack of courage. He's better off doing something else.

2. Emberstone

is it just more, of has he become a attention whore to cause dina lohan to admit defeat?

3. mydogstewie

Obama is a scaredie cat

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I'd like to see how.

5. mydogstewie

He's too afraid to take risks and get things done. He's always worrying if people will like his decisions and he's not doing anything like stopping DADT, he's just afraid he will get shit from conservatives in the senate. IE john mccain

6. Zumbro

Back on topic about Choi, I think he needs to back off a bit. The first time he got arrested, it was big. The second time, it was interesting. Past that, he isn't really helping the cause too much. He's become a spectacle. His stunts aren't really statements anymore, but just stunts showing he's being a bit uncooperative. They're working on it. It's closer than ever, but it will not be immediate. It has to pass the house, the senate, the president, the military, and the pentagon, and that takes time. We're finally getting things done, and the conservatives are beginning to cooperate. One person getting arrested (again) doesn't really help at this point, IMO.

7. Nawy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think he is doing this for the politicians as much as to get the public's attention. So they can continue to push their representatives on this issue as well as others.
    I respect what he is doing. I disagree that he has to back off.
    Especially considering that it seems that at this point he is upset about the pentagon study, which he calls offensive. Not so much about the legislature.

P.S. If you ever get a chance to go hear him speak. Do it. He is amazingly inspirational. He came to my college during my pride week and he is the reason I was able to come out in general the next week. He will make you want to take action (even if that is simply coming out)

8. Zach1992

He's starting to get ridiculous.

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Him advocating for it is better than nothing (or him going against advocating). Try to Imagine where we would be on DADT if McCain were in office.

#9 Swamp56, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  10. Danielle

Danielle Guest

If DADT was a big deal for Obama it would have been one of the first things he pushed for instead of likely being signed halfway through his term.

11. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Totally agree. And most of the time it's all about pleasing people that won't vote for this policies anyway. I mean if not just this, look at the health care bill. All that bending over backwards for republicans by taking things out of it and NOT ONE republican vote in the end. Or how about Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's New York trial? Obama's administration will take a stand on something, and it'll only take like 2 people to complain and they'll back down. The democrats need to grow a pair.

----------

I agree entirely. I've seen him interviewed a number of times and I agree he's very inspirational and well spoken. I would love to hear him speak in person. Hopefully I can get a chance.

#11 excuseyou77, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  12. Just Adam

this gusy getting on my nerves...if hes not chaining himself to the white house gates hes fasting >.> thats not helping anyone.... he should be out there more talking putting across inspirational messages and putting thoughts and opinions out there trying to engage people...alas what hes doing is self destructive and is damaging to the image of people supporting change... :frowning2:

ive said it before he keeps doing this he is just fuelling the fire of those that oppose us :frowning2: they will keep thinking and promoting that were lesser that this is all we are capable of .... we need to try and relate to people not break laws or do stunts....

besides it kinds makes no sense... " give me equal rights or ill stave myself till i die " " what do i care if i had my way id kill the lot of your kind anyway " " i mean it ill do it " " hey go for it " ....

etc ... :s

did we learn nothing from the X-men ...violence and public disorder dont achieve anything they wont bring people on side ...we need to rationally approach them and engage them is discussion

all just my pov tho.

13. Emberstone

ugh... the president doesnt have the power you are implying he has.

It is up to congress to repeal DADT, as the president does not have the authority. He is advocating for the repeal, which is the only thing his office gives him the right to do. he cant pass laws or change laws unless congress does it first. the president doesnt have the authority to overcede the law, plain and simple.

There are things that one can validly criticize the president for... this is not one of them.

14. Connor22

umm if it's going to be changed at the end of the year... he's going to be fasting for a long time, why doesn't he start after Christmas?

15. Emberstone

honestly, I am sick of lt. dan choi. He hurts gay equality. He is only helping himself to more undeserved limelight, because he lost his credibility with repeateded arrests for criminal activities.

right to protest has limits.

16. Just Adam

im all for social liberty but i agree its just hurting now...

17. OK, it looks like he's going to stop. I'm happy that he's made the right decision. :slight_smile:

18. ANightDude

Exactly. I'm surprised no one before you mentioned that. Obama hasn't done it because he can't do it. He has to wait for congress to vote on it, as well as on DOMA and such things. He doesn't have the power.

19. Emberstone

god forbide the econamy be a priority after a economic collapse brought on by deregulation and anti middle class policies of his predecessors...

yah, lets not care about the things that effect all america, and focus on something that is not dire.

20. titaniumCloset

Yeah this whole focus on Dont Ask Dont Tell is just a distraction for Americans. It wasn't a "Popular problem" until recently -- the media just picked it up and went with it so activist groups are along for the ride and thought they might as well try to take it down.