1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Supreme Court Case on Westboro Baptist Church Matters

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opin...-Case-on-Westboro-Baptist-Church-Matters-3842

2. Emberstone

I want to advocate for 'bill of rights' being renamed 'Bill of Rights and Responciblities'.

Freedom is not without strings attatched. There needs to be a clear line between free speech and outright abuse.

Everyone has a right to a opinion, but I think the right not to be abused verbally, physically, and emotionally should have precedence.

You can own a gun, but the law currently stands that if you rob the bank with said gun *I.E. use it in a non-responcible way, you lose that right*. Owning the gun is not the problem as much as how you choose to use it.

why cant freedom of speech be the same. Having a dissenting and passionate opinion is fine. but there is a line when it crosses into outright hateful abuse. They can preach all they want that god hates this person, and god hates that person *the bible says they are going to hell, cause hate is a sin, and there spreading nothing but hate*, however picketing a funeral is not speech, it is emotional and verbal assult.

3. littledinosaurs

I don't really know how I feel about this case. Granting Snyder a victory could be more detrimental down the line than it's really worth.

4. Gaydar

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I have to agree. I don't know what legal loopholes a victory could lead to down the road, but this seems a bit insignificant when put into perspective compared to them (as much as I absolutely hate to say it).