1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Iowans Back Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.kcci.com/news/23788070/detail.html

2. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    well, it's kinda about time... with all the iowans on gay dating sites and such...

3. Meropspusillus

Iowa is more progressive than California. Ha?

4. Emberstone

now to nget the 6% that is undecided to join the 53% that supports it, and we are safe.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Iowa is the state-equivalent to the loner/social-outcast in high school.

The social outcast, although unknown is probably a better person than 99% of the students in that high school.

Iowa, which tends to be the "Is that a state?" state, is probably a better state than the majority of other states.

6. Zumbro

I don't know if there are any adult iowans on here to correct me, but I feel like Iowa simply doesn't care, in a good way. They just keep to themselves, and kinda say "You're gay. So what. Now I have corn to go pick, and so do you, dammit!" :grin:

Also
    I disagree. Granted, I lived in MN, so I knew there was a large corn field to my south, but I believe Delaware wins that contest. I keep forgetting it exists... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

It's more noticable to us though.

#7 Lady Gaga, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  8. subaru000

+1 to Lady Gaga. Never thought I'd say that...

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's hoping. But if the thing does go to a vote and they keep Same-Sex marriage, what will happen then, will the idiots just keep trying? lol

10. jonny

Haha I like when the guy comments about focusing on real issues that of pocketbook that is. When are ppl going to realize their are bigger issues out there that we are commonly fighting versus restricting other peoples rights.

11. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Great, but not very significant. Same-sex marriage has been legal for a while now in Iowa.

12. Nodnarb

I was pretty shocked to see this poll. I think the actual percent in support is less, probably more like 48/49. But it is still great news. I believe something similar happened in Massachusetts. After marriage equality had been legal for quite awhile without the sky falling, people start to realize it isn't such a bad thing. And while 53% may be a bit on the optimistic side, it's still awesome to be from one of the few states where support for same-sex marriage has ever even polled over 50%.

I'm waiting for KCCI to release some more details from the poll, because they should be pretty interesting. I'd guess the numbers from 18-25 year olds would be something like 75/25 in favor, 25-45 at 55/45, and 45+ around 30/70. Considering how old the state is, the non-old people numbers would have to be pretty strongly in favor to get to over 50% overall support.

One thing that really helps us here in Iowa is that we have a well educated population (best high school graduation rate in the country :slight_smile:). Surveys usually show that more educated people tend to support marriage equality. And people here tend to be pretty laid-back and try to keep out of other people's business.

:lol: Reminds me of one of my favorite t-shirts.

I think that is a compliment...in a sort of round-about way...:slight_smile:

I think that's pretty accurate. Aside from the corn part. Most of us have nothing to do with farming...:wink:

As long as you aren't doing something that has a negative impact on others, most people don't like to get into other people's business.

Don't forget the soybeans:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: We have almost as much of that as we do corn. New Jersey is the state I usually forget. There are just way too many small states crammed into the Northeast.

It can't go up for a vote until 2014, and if this poll is any indication, there probably won't be enough backing to get it through the state legislature by then. There is only so much time and money people can put into a lost cause.