1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The True Story of a Gay Exorcism

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.details.com/culture-trends/critical-eye/201006/gay-exorcism#ixzz0psXXzqM2

2. Elven

I class myself as a very open minded person and am willing to accept most religious views with good reason yet this, like most people I expect, really disgusts me. How people and christians, however few, can believe in and practice something so barbaric is unknown to me... It must be so psychologicly damaging, deep suppression and hatred for themselves is what more than likley results in the "successes"...

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The idea of exorcism actually comes from Paganism, during the dark ages when Christianity was trying to draw in Pagan people, they adopted some beliefs and holidays. Such as December 25th, it magically became the birth date of Jesus although we know now he was born in Summer, if at all.

Yet Christianity today holds their ground that any form of Paganism is a sin.

Just a little fun fact.

4. Connor22

this guy Kevin needs help like yesterday and he needs to get the hell out of there

5. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

*sigh* Its a permanent up hill struggle sometimes.

6. Emberstone

one, divining the future according to the bible is a sin, and also according to the bible after jesus, many false prophets will come in his name, and leads people astray.

Two, this is the frickian pentacostals we are talking about. Pentacostalisem is insitutionalized schizophrenia, and I am not exagerating that in any way. it also is fairly popular among hate groups and white supremecist groups, because the extremist nature of how they practice their faith goes hand in hand with the mentality of hate groups. Also, they are taught to hate sin, and therefore hate sinners, while ignoring the very sins they commit, like the sin of hate.

Plus, Sarah Palin goes to a pentacostal church that has in the passed praised so called christian warriors, including a pastor from africa who killed a elderly woman, claiming she was a witch who was causing traffic problems in a village through satanic witchcraft, and then drove out her entire family, and took over their houses and posessions. And sarah palin stood while that monster, pastor muthee, blessed her after she praised him for his actions.

My cousin had a friend who was pentacostal, and she spent the night one time, and said never again when she go back. they prayed that morning to ask god if they should eat cornflakes, or cherrios for breakfest, and she had to wait two hours before they got what they translated to be a sign of god telling them to eat cornflakes... I wish I was making that up, but it actually happened.

Lets not judge christanity from the looony bin selection of faith communties within it.

7. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Okay like, people may hate me for this, but you really shouldn't knock any religion, in this case the Pentecostal movement. It's a stereotype, the exact thing people do to homosexual people. I certainly don't care for it when people equate gay=sexual monster. It's not fair to to say Pentecostal believers are haters, since to be honest, in my experience they are not in the slightest. Not that there aren't a few exceptions...but you will find that with ANYTHING. I'm gonna repeat that for good measure, ANYTHING.

No matter what faith you say you are, sexual orientation, political party, or any other "label" you can put on a person, people are just people. Some will hate, some will not. It's not the "labels" that really define us it's just simply the choices.

I say this not in an offensive way, because trust me I'm doing it because I want to help, but you aren't solving any problems by hating Pentecostals but wanting them to stop hating. It's spreading the problem around. Trust me, as much you may hate "turn the other cheek" it's a surprising way to feel great and not carry around baggage.

Forgive me if I made anyone mad I just think forgiving and moving on is such a more rewarding path to follow. (*hug*)

8. Emberstone

there is a distinction between hating pentacostals, and commenting on them...

Never said I hated them, I merely pointed out the hypocracy and danger of the movement, its practices, and how damaging it has been in the past.

9. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Maybe it's just the language you used, or the sweeping statement it's institutionalized schizophrenia, that made me think you just didn't like them.

On large, the Pentecostal people I have met are nothing like you have described. Just saying, people are people.

10. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Or you can criticize all religions. Like me, the equal opportunity anti-theist.

In any case, regarding the article, of course I am sickened by the practice of exorcisms. It is becoming increasingly clear that children who are subjected to this disgusting display of religious fanaticism are being hurt, not "healed".

I can only hope that the government finds a way of prosecuting this people without people freaking out over the First Amendment. They are now dealing with the loonies who neglect their children by rejecting medical assistance, so I can't see why this cannot extend to the mental health of the LGBT teens trapped in these institutions. Or at least this should be kept at the forefront of media attention in order to try and discredit the practices.

Also, I wonder if they see chunks of food in the vomit if they call them 'Carrot Demons' or 'Undigested Gummy Bear Demons'.

11. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Well, I suppose that's fair. I wonder if if that same philosophy can be carried over to people who are equal opportunity gay bashers?

12. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Not comparable. Being gay is not a belief system. The only prerequisite is love for the same gender as yourself. However, being religious carries a boatload of other baggage with it. Just know that I don't lump moderates in with the extremists; I dislike moderates for different reasons entirely.

In any case, let's not derail this thread. It's about a brutal practice that is somehow being overlooked by the government. There should be the same amount of scrutiny placed on exorcisms as there is on cults.

13. Emberstone

i remeber watching on history channel a show about excorcisem, and one of the guys was a pentacostal preacher who went around doing seminars at hotel conference rooms, for a price, of course.

This one lady had a cold, and she blamed it on demon. for a 150 dollars, he preformed a excercisem on her, when she could have spent 10 bucks at the grocery store.

in another section, a girl in a eastern european country pushed her brother down and broke his arm, and her mother blamed it on a demon, and she nodded vigorously to that, and was excercised by the village priest, who did it as a religious service, with no charge.

another person in the same village was excercised for getting drunk and crashing his father's car into the side of a house. it was not that he had 5 beers before getting behind the wheel, it was because of a demon, according to the guy.

Exceorcisem seems as much a excuse to abuse and/or use people as it is as a excuse for people not to take responciblity for themselves.

People would rather pretend demons make a person gay so they dont have to accept a person who is gay as a human being.

dehuminize a group of people, then they dont think they have to treat that as human beings with rights and emotions.

14. mydogstewie

15. Emberstone

awesome!

16. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Hating people for the way they live their life I thought was universally bad. But what do I know?

I apologize of course. I'm in no way endorsing this practice, just saying this isn't the best way to describe any one faith/religion. One event cannot speak for an entire group. This again, goes for everything.

As a final note, aren't cults like...largely ignored in America so long as they don't break any laws?