1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study: Children of Lesbians May Do Better Than Their Peers

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1994480,00.html

2. Just Adam

your joking right? kids raised in a lesbian home are better behaved and smarter than other kids >.>

what a load of rubbish... really it is utter crap. male or female hetro or gay ...its the love and support the child gets that develops them, there is no correlation between gender or sexuality and emotional caring .

i know terrible mothers i know good mothers and sexuality just isn't a factor ... your a good parent or your not you know how to raise a child right or you don't.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

They're probably more tolerant..but that's about it..

They're not smarter or really any better. :frowning2:

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps its not that they are any better parents but that they have had to fight harder to get where they are and to have a child compared with some heterosexual couples, obviously dependant a lot on where they live.
    I dont think its anything to do with their sexuality but perhaps being gay and coming out and all that they have been through has made them more aware of the importance of self esteem and confidence.

5. Emberstone

dont forget a LGBT person has hurdles to jump through just to have children. sometimes, it takes more time, and have to jump through more hoops for a gay or lesbian couple to have a children, expecially with many states where adoption is not a option for them.

maybe they cherise the children they have all the more because they had to work harder to get them.

6. Just Adam

see this argument is only a partial truth and its based on the assumption that hetro people just shag and bang theres a kid...but theres so many who cant have children or struggle to conceive...

so to say in a blanket statement that lgbt people cherish children more because its harder for us to have them isnt true....its always a base by base case.

and thats what makes me fed up with this article as its just saying straight people and well men i guess arent good with kids :S

anyway yea :s ...interesting thing is to see when an article comes out opposing this one saying the opposite.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont think it should just be lesbian couples I think it would be the same for a gay male couple as well.

8. crimsonarcher

Oh, this will make O'Reilly blow a gasket.

9. Just Adam

FOX will implode from anger trying to argue this.

10. Chandra

But the article isn't saying that straight people and men aren't good with kids. I think you're missing the point and over-generalizing their conclusions. Yes, there are plenty of straight couples who plan carefully and cherish their children - the difference is that pretty much ALL gay couples can ONLY have kids if they plan carefully. So of course the results are going to be different when comparing the two groups. The results for straight couples will be skewed by the fact that straight couples often DO have unplanned and/or unwanted pregnancies.

#10 Chandra, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  11. Just Adam

its not about who plans to have a child tho, it says they are emotionally better and academically better having two mothers. im not saying it says men and straight people aren't good with children but rather its the implication it gives.... as it says the same sex house hold children do better so straight people are implied to not give as good a home and the other difference would be the male influence in the house missing thus implying kids do better without a farther...

ok it can be said i may be implying and generalizing to but i reply they need to think how what they publish can read as by people.... i don't know if ill have kids somehow someday but i don't like people to put out there that being a man and having a husband i may be an inferior farther to a child.

but as usual its my pov on things that don't really matter much.

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Just Adam, correlation is not causation. When they say that children of lesbians tend to excel in school and are more behaved, they are not saying that it is because the mothers are lesbians. There are literally thousands of factors. All the study says is that there is a correlation between these things.

13. Connor22

^ note the word "may"