1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage could be issue in [D.C. Democratic Committee] straw poll

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/dc/gay-marriage-could-be-issue-in.html

2. Emberstone

technically speaking, I want a vote to deny voters the right to discriminate and vote to take rights away from citizens...

We call that fucken facisem, letting one group purposefully enshrine their bigottry and hatred into law on the basis of their narrowed, superiority complex based religious beliefs.

3. Holly27

I think we should propose a ban on all marriage and let everyone vote on that, just so that bigots understand how dehumanizing it is to do such a thing.

4. theJosephDean

THANK YOU.

Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I really hate the idea of marriage in general. It's another way that the government can use religion to discriminate against people. :\ Of course, I have a bias of such things, but "holy unions between people" really have no place in the government or the economy, ya know? But yeah. Agreed :wink:

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Want to know something I just DON'T get? The people of the States voted for their representatives to represent them. Yet oddly, when those people vote to approve gay marriage....they do a 180 and say "Oh we should get to vote on this". Hello people, you voted for your representatives to represent you so you yourselves wouldn't have to and now you idiots are saying "we should vote on this ourselves". Then tell me....WHAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF ELECTING PRESIDENTS, GOVERNORS, SENATORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND THE WHOLE EFFING GOVERNMENT?!

I'm done ranting.

6. ANightDude

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a founding father claim that the rights of a minority should never be voted on by the majority? Something like that at least...

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The point is so that they won't be elected for us.

If a politician supports 98% of someone's ideas, and just so happens to be against gay marriage when they are for it, they most likely will vote for that person as long as gay marriage isn't a huge issue to them.

In my opinion, people shouldn't vote for someone exclusively because of their views on gay rights.

To give you an idea, let's say there are 2 candidates running for public office. One is pro gay rights and also believes that the government should get rid of its public education system, raise taxes by 10% across the board, and get rid of Welfare. One is against gay rights but would like to reform the education system, implement health care reform, increase funding for new jobs, and reduce the federal deficit.

Who would you vote for based just on that information?

#7 Swamp56, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
  8. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's an awfully extreme (not to mention unrealistic) comparison don't you think?

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

There are candidates out there (like Bob Barr who ran for the Libertarian party in 2008) who actually believe (or run on a platform of) extreme ideas such as the US getting rid of the public Education System and Welfare.

Also, Barack Obama ran on the 2nd platform that I listed.

Bob Barr was a congressman at one point as well.

#9 Swamp56, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
  10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still stick with what I say. Voting is dumb, the government is dumb, and this entire thing of fighting for our rights and constantly being fought against is dumb. Everything in this world is some form of stupid. And as Queen Latifah said in Hairspray "Well, love is a gift, a lot of people don't remember that. So, you [all] better brace yourselves for a whole lotta ugly comin' at you from a neverending parade of stupid." One of my favourite quotes :slight_smile: