1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christians blamed for anti-gay hatred in Uganda

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/09/MNQP1DRT3V.DTL

2. Shevanel

A lot more to blame than just Christianity for Homophobia in Africa.

http://www.culturekitchen.com/leo_igwe/story/homophobia_in_africa

Homophobic Evangelical groups definitely didn't help Africa progress though, but I highly doubt much acceptance was there anyway. There is intense racism between ethnic groups throughout Africa (like the Hutus and Tutsis , remember the genocides in Rwanda and Burundi?)

Africa has a lot of problems with equality that have many many reasons. Not just the Christian influence, this stuff goes back forever.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Although Christianity surely didn't help..they're not the only factor.

And the above poster said everything already..so..there you go..

4. Just Adam

i think of Africa and word lost cause comes to mind i dunno.

5. Meropspusillus

That reminds me of a Sarah Silverman joke..."If we can send a man to the moon, then we can send a man with AIDS to the moon, and if we can send a man with AIDS to the moon, then we can send everyone with AIDS to the moon." I thought it was funny...but I actually think you're being serious.

6. haelmarie

That's not true. In fact, Christianity was arguably the first imperialist power, the source of this giant mess that Africa finds itself in today.

I don't want to always be picking on Christianity, but it played a huge role in Africa. In fact, it's very ironic that you chose the Rwandan massacres as Rwanda was one of the most Christianized countries in Africa.

*Cannon, Katie Geneva. "Christian imperialism and the transatlantic slave trade." Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion
    **http://www.newsfromafrica.org/articles/art_10231.html

7. Shevanel

^ I was merely mentioning the fact that a shitload of these problems were around before the Christian influence as well.

8. Just Adam

would love to know how i said to get rid of people with aids >.>

9. haelmarie

I'm trying really hard not to be a douche here, but Africa's problems basically come out of the post-colonial era in the 1960's or so. Not really blaming Christianity as much as I'm blaming imperialism.

But I see what you're saying, that Africa had problems before the USA decided to send a bunch of proselytizing missionaries across the ocean.

10. Harve

[YOUTUBE]euXQbZDwV0w[/YOUTUBE]

This has probably already been posted, but sometimes you just have to laugh. Though the jeering at the end is pretty numbing...

11. Meropspusillus

You just dismissed the plight of a country suffering, largely through no fault of their own, as hopeless, which is a little a insensitive =/.

12. Emberstone

If I remeber correctly, the majority of people with HIV in africa are heterosexuals, and heterosexual sex is the most common cause for transmission, due to their vulger, christian based views of sex *woman are objects, no condoms, a woman cant deny a demand from a man for sex...*

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christians helped with the anti-gay movements in Uganda so I blame them, yes.

14. Just Adam

as far as im concerned a lot of their troubles are their own, sure imperialism messed things up but afterwards help was refused for a long time out of spite and want of pride. they are people of individual thought its what makes them human they're beliefs i see as a lost cause as these troubled areas that would have people killed for who they love...thats the places i feel as hopeless as the world trys to move forward these places try to move further back.

the real contrast is when watching the world cup all colourful such joy and bliss by people just knowing the world cups in their country the rainbow nation ( still makes me chuckle ) ... yet just think about whats next door to it and its almost hell on earth .....makes you think...

so all in all im sensitive to the troubles and am not dismissive but the world trys trys trys and places cling to ignorant beliefs and do these things out of spite i believe as a way to go hah sod you west such on this.

my opinion tho