1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Portland, Oregon] Police Arrest Five for Gay Bashing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com...-police-arrest-five-for-june-10th-gay-bashing

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Erm yeah...good for the police :slight_smile: But um...the article kinda ticked me off a little bit...

Yeah using queer in a news article? Not so happy.

3. Allistair

Allistair Guest

Yea the article was badly worded to say the least, but the good thing is that someting was done about it, instead of just allowing it to continue.

4. Emberstone

and here portland pride is only a week away. Hope the police will step up the security in light of these events.

5. Dan82

Given that the article was in an alternative weekly, I doubt they intended to be offensive.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Intended or not. If one finds it offensive (me), others will too.

7. Just Adam

personally i wouldn't read a news paper or item that uses the word ' guys ' two describe to people, seems like its written by a poorly educated teenager. >.>

quite frankly the wording is terrible , some of it almost reads as if the article writer doesn't know if its happened or not.

as for the word queer i don't like it but i also don't like ' the 2 gay guys ' ...before it ...i think a bit more dignity could be used.

as for the police cracking down surely they should of been doing better before now and these incidents wouldn't of happened.

i too hope pride is better policed, tho its sad we need protection at these things sadly some sad people do set out to hurt.

8. theJosephDean

Exactly. "The gay guys" should not have even been used. "The victims," perhaps. Yes, we all know that they were gay, but that's not how one should define them. :\