1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop. 8 forces target 18,000 same-sex marriages

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/15/BA3N1DVIFO.DTL&tsp=1

2. British Lad

British Lad Guest

America is so screwed up with it state system I think The big disions Like murder laws and marriage should Be controlled by the central government and little laws by states it works in every other country why not the USA because size when it comes to laws does not matter.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

You do realize the diversity of the USA, right? One law in California might not work or represent Oklahoma or Maine properly. I'm not saying it isn't flawed though.

4. It's definitely flawed, but the federal government shouldn't take over. They should stand up and do more in support of Gay rights like Obama promised. Promised and then doesn't deliver. I guess in all fairness he has been a little busy with the Oil Spill and Economic meltdown that 2 wars and years of bad decision making have left us with. But I think he could still do more towards what he promised.

5. Emberstone

all he can do is advocate. the president doesnt have as much power as people think. The reason bush was able to do so much is because unlike democrats, republicans circle the wagons, and take orders from their president. they dont truly legislate, they merely do what they are told. democrats legislate, they question, and they have to be convinced. He needs to step up his advocacy for LGBT, but congress has the real authority to overturn/enact things such as DOMA, DADT, and ENDA

6. They better fucking not force Ellen and Portia to get a divorce!

If Prop 8 is upheld, I'm moving to fucking Canada. Ugh, this country is so screwed up...

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last I checked, not recognizing them is practically the same thing as nullifying the marriages. IT MEANS THE SAME THING! Ugh though..I'm wanting to shoot these Prop 8 people...

8. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

So much pessimism..

The country is quickly becoming more gay friendly. Being pessimistic wont help that go further. :3

9. Emberstone

If you want to deny my right to marriage, legally, you have to deny yourself the right to marry, because thats the only way for the constitution to be upheld. either I can marry, or no one has the right... so sayeth the 14th ammendement.

10. Alex19

will it ever end? seriously, these biggots r never happy and its pissing me off. why are they alowed to keep living? THEYRE THE ONES THAT SHOULD BE BASHED

11. Emberstone

abortions in the 431st trimester ftw!!!

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting thing to note people. On NOM, they even state "I suspect Judge Walker will overrule Prop 8". It's official people, the bigots have finally admitted they lost. But of course they still go on to say "Americans have the right to vote to protect marriage" blah blah blah -_- But still interesting to note they even admit they've lost lol.

Here's a blurb from it:

13. ANightDude

Even the gays worst enemy admits defeat?

Total win. :grin: For now, at least. She is right, it's going to be a long road from here. Nothing is finished.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "His goal is to overturn marriage?" WTF??!! No, his goal is to keep it intact, and actually to make it more widely available. How in the hell is that "overturning" it?? I fucking hate these ignorant bigots.

Since when is allowing people of all sexual preferences to get married NOT a "vote for marriage"?

The lies and bullshit these people put forth is just appalling.

#14 Chip, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  15. Dan82

A few years ago Julian Sanchez gave the best explanation I’ve seen for what they mean when they say “overturn marriage”:http://www.juliansanchez.com/2006/07/31/the-straussian-case-against-gay-marriage/