1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop. 8 judge wants a discussion of 'choice' in sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prop8-trial-20100615,0,471302.story

2. Zach1992

I don't see how it should matter even if it were.

3. Just Adam

choice? what choice?...oh like the choice they made to be straight that choice....i missed sign up that day ...

4. Yeah, because the 18,000 couples who were being targeted by Prop 8 just woke up one day and DECIDED to have a large percentage of the world population hate them because of who they love and choose to marry. They also just LOVE the fact that the majority of the country makes it impossible to marry who they CHOOSE to fall in love with. If it's really a choice, can I sign up to be straight?

Fucking retards.

5. ahhthehorror

ahhthehorror Guest

I second.
    Especially the last bit. :]

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um isn't Walker gay? You'd figure he'd know if it's a choice. If he rules it is a choice or some shit, I swear I think every gay man and woman will hate him >_> I realize he has to be neutral and can't like favor this sort of thing but still....it's just like wtf.

7. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The reason choice is such a big deal is because it completely changes the constitutionality of the vote.

If being gay is a choice, then there is no problem with passing a law that says only opposite-sex marriages are valid. You aren't being discriminated against because you can choose to love and marry someone of the opposite sex. You aren't being barred any right.

Whereas, if sexuality is not a choice but an immutable characteristic of a person outside of their control, then there is a huge problem with passing such a law. Now you are in fact being barred from a right since you can't love someone of the opposite sex and thus can't marry someone who you do love.

It's analogous to creating a law saying that it's no longer legal to drive blue cars vs. it's no longer legal for blue-eyed people to drive cars. In one, no one is being barred from driving. It's your choice to purchase a blue car and there are plenty of other colored cars to drive. You may not like the law but that's how it is. In the other, you have no say over your eye color. You never chose it and you can't change it. But because you were born with blue eyes, you can never drive a car no matter what you do.

It's perfectly fine in this country to pass laws people don't like or that limit people's choices. But it is equally not fine to pass a law that bars a category of people based on a immutable characteristic. You need to prove substantial rational and prudence for such a law to remain valid. That's why the question of choice is so important.

8. Possibly Maybe

what that judge wants is a kick in his backside... grrrr

9. Emberstone

yah... lets kick a Gay judge's ass for doing what legally he is required to do.

If you do not understand judicial process, you need to refrain from attacking the judge simply because you are jumping to inaccurate and incorrect conclusions.

The job the judge,who happens to be gay, is to ensure that as much information is brought forward. He has to cover as many bases as possible, so he can make his decision as clear as possible.

This is a area of contention. Gay people yes, do know that sexual orientation is not a choice. the scenitific community has repeatedly show that it is not a choice. This judge, being gay, knows it is not a choice.

However, in legal cases, you have to establish the truth. you cant simply leave something open that can be abused by one side (such as the bigotts, who claim it isnt a choice, but have not evidence to back their claim up). By presenting the question, the judge is requring them to provide evidence to support their claims on the matter. That broadens the ammount of information built up in the case, and narrows the ability of people to use it as a loophole to declare the case a mistrial.

The judge is simply doing his job. He wants a solid case to build his decision on. He wants to close up as many gaps as possible to ensure that his ruling can stand.

10. notquitebutch

Thank you, ArcusPravus and Emberstone. I wish I was articulate enough to have said all of that :'D

I seriously can't wait to see how this pans out.