1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of Australia's most respected and longest enduring same sex relationships...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TriBi, Jun 19, 2010.

1. TriBi

Justice Michael Kirby & his partner of 41 years, Johan van Vloten, will be the subject of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) show 'Compass' on June 27th. For those who can access it - should be worth watching.

This article from today's paper gives some interesting insights:
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/love-and-the-judge-20100619-yo2r.html

This follows on from his having just been named co-winner of the 2010 Gruber Justice Prize 2010 - SMH article from just a few days ago:
    http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/michael-kirby-wins-us-award-20100617-ygqd.html

Michael Kirby is an achiever and an Australian legend who, with his partner, has set an example that is one to which many may aspire - but few will likely match.

[​IMG]
    Johan van Vloten (left) with partner Justice Michael Kirby (right)

Attached Files:

2. ANightDude

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate the "few will likely to match". Thanks...

4. Stuie

Justice Michael Kirby has been an incredible contributor to the Australian law community, there are few who could claim to be nearly as successful as him. Being a High Court Judge in Australia is basically the top job in the law community. There are honestly few who have matched that kind of career or will, so they are justified in saying it.

Actually know who these people are before you start putting them down.

And yes, good on him. I'll try to watch Compass this week.

5. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think Revan took it to mean that their successful relationship would be matched by few. At least that is what I thought the first time I read it.