1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should gays be able to give blood?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by theJosephDean, Jun 24, 2010.

1. theJosephDean

[YOUTUBE]ny2wu-NGSyI[/YOUTUBE]

Video for reference.

=/ Discuss?

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I doubt that there will be anyone who disagrees with me here, so I won't needlessly explain myself, though I will elaborate if anyone does disagree.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

1. Gay people are not more likely to get HIV. Everyone has an equal chance because we're all human. Hard concept to understand, right?
    2. There is actually a higher concentration of AIDs in the straight community than gay community.
    3. There is a higher concentration of AIDs in african communities than gay communities as stated in the show.

So, by the FDA's flawed logic straights and anyone of African decent should be banned from giving blood.

There is also a quickly rising Asian AIDs amount.

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. theJosephDean

I agree with all of that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What really bugs me is that if the tests for HIV aren't always conclusive and sometimes they're wrong, then why the hell are they still using them? I mean, if you have a gay couple who are each other's first and obviously are clean and aren't at risk for any infection, denying them the ability to help give blood is like punishing the one for the many.

LGBT rights aside, I don't like the thought of giving blood period :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't mind giving it up for labwork or such, but the thought of my blood circling around and ending up in someone (even if it helps them) just seriously weirds me out. Also why I have instructions to never get a blood transfusion unless it's from someone I know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Tim

Tim

Is it bad my only thought watching that video was

"Wtf, why is there a man co-hosting The View?" :confused:

I don't believe there's any reason why gay men shouldn't be able to. I'm not going into detail, as I don't believe I need to.

7. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Now a days with being able to test for infection's i don't see why they should be banned. No justification's and only helps to support people's stereotypes of all gay men have HIV and other blood born diseases.

8. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

This is quite win.

The most intelligent things I have ever heard someone say about HIV.

9. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. :grin:

Her thing about condoms and the Pope was epic.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't view the video. It's doing one of it's "You're in Canada, you no view, BAHAHAH"

11. theJosephDean

Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Whoopi is away filming a movie, so they're bringing in guys just to shake things up. Though, Thomas is gay and DL is flamboyant enough, so that episode balanced out. Tom Burgeron and Jay Mohr, on the other hand. Meh, not so much.

Try this: http://www.hulu.com/watch/157932/the-view-hot-topics-gays-giving-blood#s-p1-sr-i1

Or just YouTube search "the view gays blood". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: There were several responses, but I just chose the one from The View's official channel.

12. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    EDIT: Oops, never mind.

13. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Yes we should for many many reason as already outlined plus i want to give some back due to personal reasons. :slight_smile:

14. Hell yes! I personally never want to give blood, but I know that there are a lot of LGBT people who want to. They should be allowed to, period.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

This is like asking if people should be allowed to breathe.

16. This.

17. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I'll disagree for the sake of argument...

I don't necessarily agree that this is a gay right's issue. Giving blood is not a right, nor is it really a privilege, it just is what it is. HIV at one time (I'm not sure about now, I'd welcome any evidence) was more concentrated among gay men than it was among straight people in the Western world. No test that you will ever get in a hospital is 100% accurate 100% of the time and there are always a few cases that get through no matter what the disease. The blood donor exclusions are designed to lower the number of people with HIV walking through the door and thus lower the number of potential cases which may get through the biochemical tests.

The primary concern of the whole blood donor apparatus must always be the good of the patient and how people feel about being excluded from the process should NEVER trump the well-being of the people receiving the blood.

Now, at least in Canada and in Europe, blood donor clinics aren't trying to be homophobic. They base their decisions on who can give blood and who can't based on the best scientific evidence available. If we as gay people so desire to give blood, then we need to prove, using conclusive peer-reviewed studies, that there will be no risk to the end patient.

I don't actually know if this proof exists, if it does then I would agree, gay people should be allowed to give blood. If the proof doesn't exist, then our first fight should not be against the blood banks but we should be fighting for these studies to be performed.

18. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Yes but there rules are based on information that was correct over 20-30 years ago! Its kind of obsolete now if you ask me.

19. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    I know what you are saying but upon death i am allowed to donate my organs (from the UK) but yet they will not accept my blood.

There is a greater rate of HIV infection from those of African origin yet there is no exclusion?, There is a greater rate of infection form people that sleep around (gay and straight) yet there is no exclusion for that?

I agree I don't think they are doing it to be homophobic, but they are scared to move away from stereotypes.

20. paul 123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im appaled that in my counrty gay people arent allowed to give blood :frowning2:

personally i had always looked forward to being able to give blood, then i found out i wasnt allowed just because of my sexuality and peoples stupid prejudice about that.... its disgusting