1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newlywed Not Allowed To Change Name On License

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=102931&catid=148

2. theJosephDean

Omg. *facepalm* I live like an hour from Knoxville (whether I'm at home, or on the other side at school). This is exactly the kind of shtick that I would expect them to pull. Hell, it sounds like the DMV I went to to get my license. >__>

Hopefully she'll take the court case, even if it will cost money. She shouldn't stop just because of their ignorance. =/

3. xCrazyInsanity

wtf?
    her name was legally changed.
    What's the problem?

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

If I were her I would have just drove away.

5. Just Adam

surely the patrol man and dmv woman would of been breaking some state federal law thing as shes legally married to her partner and has every right to take the name :S

the USA law system is really annoying...you need a book when travelling of each states laws. ... pain the in the ass !

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, Tennessee doesn't recognize same-sex marriages from other states. So therefore they had the right to not allow it, but highway patrol and the shit they pulled....*shakes fist*

7. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If this was any other law you'd be correct. We have a clause in the constitution call the Full Faith and Credit Clause (Article IV Section 1).

It essentially says that public acts, records and judicial proceedings in one state must be honored in another state. The problem is that DOMA was passed to make same-sex marriage the sole exception to that clause. Constitutionally, other states are required to recognize the marriages performed in other states. And while I'm not a lawyer, let alone a constitutional lawyer, so I may very well be wrong in saying this, as far as I know, Congress isn't allowed to limit the Constitution as it has by a simple law. I believe an amendment is necessary for that type of change. The general argument for its constitutionality has been that DOMA is Congress describing the effect of marriage recognition. But to overturn the law's effect will eventually require a Supreme Court ruling stating that it's unconstitutional, and they've yet to hear a case challenging DOMA's constitutionality.

8. xCrazyInsanity

Even if they don't recconize the marriage, they HAVE to reconize a legal name change

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True....but hey I don't live in the USA so I don't know how it all works. But yeah, if the social security allowed it, it's bs that the DMV won't.

10. Mitchell

I don't get it. Love is love...