1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Court: Christian Group Can't Bar Gays, Get Funding

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=11033294

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I've used this before, but I feel they really deserve it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc[/youtube]

Bravo Hastings :grin:

3. Emberstone

alito=asshole.

You are more than welcome to be a discriminator assfuck if you want, but dont expect to be paid to spread hatred and ignorant intolerence in a school that has anti-discrimination policies.

He just doesnt get it. not getting paid because you discriminate does not prevent you from discriminating. You are free to go on being a intolerent jackass.

churches get too many breaks as it is, and some of them abuse society as a whole.

4. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    The thing that stands out is it was only a 5-4 majority. How can they even make the discussion that close?

5. Emberstone

simple, conservatives have become the court activists, pushing for religioun, guns, and coorporations being held of higher esteem than the american people. it is no longer about constitutionality. it is about suppression of american rights and ideals, and force.

6. Davy

Not being from the USA I will very much take your word for it. Just extremely sad that all it would take is one person to vote the other way and it would have been a very different outcome. So much for the land of the free.

7. Emberstone

conservatisem, with the rise of the new fundementalist christian groups within american politics, has become the true proponants of outright activisem. They stand up, and try to force their will upon the lives of everyone else. they abuse and degrade anyone for being a free thinker, because within their cult of hatred and self-imposed ignorance of the world, any thought that doesnt come from their lips must be demonized.

We used to have a judicial branch that put the american people first. The constitution was to protect the rights of the people. Now, we have a conservative leaning court that cares more about the powers of the coorporations than they do about the rights of the people. a Court that will grant forigen coorporations the right to buy american elections by letting them do what the american citizens cant, and that is spend unlimited money on campaigns. We have a neo-con court that has four justices that strips the rights of people simply because they are not white enough, because they are not rich enough, or christian enough, or have penises. we have a swing voter who sides with the coorporate elite, and prevents the judicial branch from serving the only people they are by the constitution, allowed to serve, and that is the american citizens.

It is a court that needs liberals voices. Too long have the conservatives put the intrest of non american coorporations ahead of the well-being of the american citizens.

8. Davy

I very much understand what you are saying, a very sad state of affairs. How can you expect people to be more liberal and accepting when those at the top are the opposite?

Sadly as Europe has made great steps in becoming more open and accepting it now seams to be going the opposite direction and going back in the closet with electing right wing government's, with the UK taking the forefront and bring the conservatives back to power.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but I can't see how we can ever move forward and have everyone on equal footing when those in power do not accept it.

9. Emberstone

politics in general is screwy. neither side truly has it right, but here in america, it was conservatives that destoryed our econamy, and put us into two wars with no plan of action. Now, they are trying to scare people into voting them back in power, which is the truly scary thing.

At least liberals believe in the value of every american, regardless of ethnicity, gender, religious beliefs, racial apperenece, or sexual orientation.

10. Dan82

Alito’s dissent is available here if you want to read it; I haven’t had the chance yet so I don’t know what his reasoning is.

11. Davy

The sad thing is it will happen!, People lose the ability to think, and listen to advertisement's of hate when they get scared, for what ever reason I don't know.

----------

Thanks will have a read of that. :thumbsup:

12. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Somewhat increases my confidence in the court.

13. Emberstone

hopefully with kagen, we can see a trend towards the constitution, which the conservatives have been working to force us away from for decades. I think we can thank justice kennedy for putting this one over the edge. he tends to be the swing vote.

14. Dan82

A better and more detailed review of the ruling is available here:http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/06/analysis-a-fatal-stipulation/

15. Dan82

Here’s an op-ed that agrees with the court’s decision:http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions...sociation_the_court_makes_the_right_call.html

And here’s one that disagrees with it:http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/28/re...lumnists-richard-a-epstein.html?feed=rss_home

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the non-US people:

George Bush, the piece of shit ex-president who ruined the country and was dumber than a post, appointed two losers to the court who lied their asses off during their confirmation hearings and claimed to be moderate and reasonable and believe in the concept of "settled law" (i.e., you don't revisit something that's already been decided.)

They subsequently, after getting appointed, basically said "Sorry, we lied" and have proceeded to make decisions that are not even remotely objective. Until a couple more of the asshats in the conservative wing of the court die, we're stuck with this.

17. Beachboi92

people never seem to understand the idea of non-discriminate policies.
    1) they act like they only apply to a minority, when in actuality they protect all people
    2) they act like it is saying you are not aloud to hold a certain opinion when in fact you can do it and speak it as much as you want as hateful as it is but the deciding factor is simply wether you discriminate actively versus just holding that opinion.
    3) in cases like this they act like it is simply a matter of sexual orientation when in fact they are also denying people who have the religious belief that homosexuality is fine, in a sense discriminating against someone for religious beliefs and sexual orientation on the basis of
    - Group thinks Sexual orientation is a choice, one they do not choose due to religious beliefs
    - so in an instance where it is a choice and the LGBT person simply takes the religious/spiritual/whatever view it is ok they are discriminating based on someones beliefs
    - Either that or it is the way they are born and no different than discriminating based on race

The only argument that is left from there is that anti-discriminatory policies are in fact discriminatory. From there the way i see it is that the government takes the view that people must be treated equally and so they cannot discriminate. However if a group/person shows they do not believe in equal treatment then they are therefore subject to being treated differently in a way like someone who takes a life gives up the right to life in places where the death penalty is legal (i know thats an odd analogy but first thing i could think of xD).

Besides that to not treat someone equally and then ask for equal treatment is hypocratic and is asking the government to condone unfair treatment in those who claim the right for it.

Im sorta rambling at this point thinking and i guess what i have discovered is that a person cannot receive a right they deny to another and in a sense to deny that equal treatment is breaking the law and therefore subjects you to the punishment of unequal treatment xD idk i feel like this is looped reasoning or something xD

18. Emberstone

do what alot of clubs do. they fundraise. my GSA group only gets about 75 bucks a term to cover printing costs and the like. We get to meet once a week in the diversity center. We can apply for classrooms for community events if we do it three weeks in advance.

75 bucks. you could fundraise that in a lunch session at the cafeteria.