1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Arguments Against Gays and Same-Sex Marriage…and How to Counter Them

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Étoile, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Étoile

Post this on your Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, LiveJournal, tumblr, email it, text it, sing it, tell it to your friends, family, classmates, co-workers, whatever. Everyone should see this.

2. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    really? <goes to find mirror and figure out whorl direction and descretly look at brothers' whorls>

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

The first one is my favorite. I can't stand when people are like "Well it's not right by the Bible." I just want to be like and no one cares.

5. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What's funny is about this ludicrous argument is that Massachusetts has had gay marriage legal for 6 years now and they have some of the lowest divorce rates in the country. Divorce rates are higher in states where gay marriage is banned.

6. Nawy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And another point with the first one about the Bible is that they are just picking and chosing what to follow.

He is a story I found that amazed me.
    An engineering professor is treating her husband, a loan officer, to dinner for finally giving in to her pleas to shave off the scraggly beard he grew on vacation. His favorite restaurant is a casual place where they both feel comfortable in slacks and cotton/polyester-blend golf shirts. But, as always, she wears the gold and pearl pendant he gave her the day her divorce decree was final. They're laughing over their menus because they know he always ends up diving into a giant plate of ribs but she won't be talked into anything more fattening than shrimp.
    Quiz: How many biblical prohibitions are they violating? Well, wives are supposed to be 'submissive' to their husbands (I Peter 3:1). And all women are forbidden to teach men (I Timothy 2:12), wear gold or pearls (I Timothy 2:9) or dress in clothing that 'pertains to a man' (Deuteronomy 22:5). Shellfish and pork are definitely out (Leviticus 11:7, 10) as are usury (Deuteronomy 23:19), shaving (Leviticus 19:27) and clothes of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19). And since the Bible rarely recognizes divorce, they're committing adultery, which carries the rather harsh penalty of death by stoning (Deuteronomy 22:22).
    So why are they having such a good time? Probably because they wouldn't think of worrying about rules that seem absurd, anachronistic or - at best - unrealistic. Yet this same modern-day couple could easily be among the millions of Americans who never hesitate to lean on the Bible to justify their own anti-gay attitudes. ~Deb Price, And Say Hi To Joyce

That is more than enough of an answer to me. People use what is in the Bible against homosexuality not becuase they follow everything in there, but they are afraid for what is different.

7. Beachboi92

^ exactly we have seen that where gay marriage is legal divorce rates go down

in addition the idea that a gay couple would be bad for a child growing up has been disproved by the American Pediatric Association (its that or America comes last or something idr). Not to mention that it has been proven statistically that on average Gay and Lesbian people make more money and are more able to provide for a child than most straight people.

the thing that really gets me though is how people take the first argument and go "well religion still....." and somehow continue to use it as an arguing point : /

Also the whole "well the people want" well when you put the rights of a minority up to a vote in a society that currently still has a greater stigma than acceptance on LGBT people what do you think is gonna happen. Not to mention the vote is always something like 49% to 51% where in 20 years when the dumb bigots of that generation die off we will suddenly see a 70% to 30% for LGBT equality.

8. george678

This is a favorite this is great!

9. Étoile

Remember, post this one websites for everyone to see! This needs to be spread around! :thumbsup:

10. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Will be posting it throughout facebook soon after the recent gay marriage note I posted dies down. :3

11. Étoile

^Yay!

I post a lot of pro-gay marriage on my Facebook. I hope people aren't sick of it.

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Haha same.

I have a bunch of conservative friends, all support gay marriage thanks to my smarticles. (And by my, I mean things I found on the internet..)

13. AlyssWonderland

I love this. Like, ALOT. (!)

14. theJosephDean

So do I. :slight_smile:

15. Étoile

Some Christians argue that the New Testament actually voids all of those rules. So they may use the New Testament to refute you.

16. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The first point refutes that already.

17. Rawrs92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

He's obviously talking from a christian's argument.

18. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

...So? How does that change anything at all?

It doesn't.

Christians don't just believe the New Testament. They believe both the old and new testament.

And if anyone tries to use any religion to say gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, the first argument will block it. America has separation of church (and just because it says church, that doesn't mean just Christianity) and state. If any religion is the basis for a law, it breaks the separation.

#18 Lady Gaga, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  19. Étoile

There's no point in trying to argue with a Christian from a religious standpoint. It's fatih; no matter how much reasoning and logic you use, they won't be swayed, even if they compherend and understand what you're saying.

While I totally agree with you Nawy56, saying, "Well, the Bible also states..." won't make much difference. They'll pull out some half-assed mumbo-jumbo. Or better yet, completely deny it, ignore it, or just end the argument.

That's why we have to talk to them from a legal standpoint. We have to get them to see it from an entirely secular, legal POV. Then, we could possibly see some progress.

20. theJosephDean

This. Most importantly, the first paragraph. =/