1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-Pope protesters urged to show tolerance.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Davy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/07/06/anti-pope-protesters-urged-to-show-tolerance/

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

*slams head onto desk*

3. Connor22

for the popes sake I hope he doesn't come here but seriously if some people want the pope to come to the UK then let him! yes I admit he isn't the best pope and I admit some of the things he has said and done have been a bit extreme but each to his own

4. Emberstone

is it just me, or are conservatives always the ones who are only for freedom of speech, and freedom to protest (and variations there of outside of the united states, I dont know exactly how the UK words and grants it, so i apolagize for that) are the first to always try to silence or downgrade the rights of others?

At least the secular and gay rights groups can properly support and defend their views...

John Paul the 2nd was fairly human compared to benidict, who has delusions of supremecy in every aspect of society, only speaking about church sins with half words.

homosexuals are actually saving the world. we tend to be economicly, and enviormentality aware. We speak out against social and racial enjustice, regardless if it deals with lgbt issues, or not. We advocate humanity and compassion, something christ did, but catholicisem fails to truly act upon.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really annoyed that he's visiting because it is each to their own. What does annoy me is that it's going to cost over £12 million at a time when the government are making radical cuts and removing over 1 million public sector jobs. The UK may be considered a Christian nation, but the Catholic church should still be the ones who pay for it.

In todays economy that £12 million is considered a lot and could help create/save much needed jobs. It seems like a waste to me, especially considering quite a few Christians I know are rather indifferent about his visit. :confused:

6. Just Adam

im sorry i really am but did someone just say where the catholic church and the pope ! is concerned we should show tolerance?

im sorry i have to be missing something they were talking to us the abused minority thats continually being told we are inhuman wrong and sick? ...and they are telling us to be tolerant about having the TWAT ! who said condoms were wrong here... >.>

if i had my way i would ban the pope from being allowed to enter the uk on the ground of in sighting hatred...as he encourages people to hate gays...we band people who incite racism and terrorism....

then again in a perfect world id love a live tv report worldwide of the Vatican being burned to the ground with the bastard in there .... people actually realising hmm we dont need to believe in stuff like that >.>

then again humans seem to have an inherit need to believe in things bigger than themselves they need stuff like death and godly things to need a sense of scope to their lives...sad really.

----------

i remember this now but i forget whats actually going to cost £12 million? thats a stupid amount for 1 man...if thats for his hotel bill rent boys and security i say ...cant he just do his mass sermon thing via video call?...hanst he got face time on his ip4? ...skype? msn?

7. Emberstone

"you better not tolerate homosexuals living in commited, long term, monogamus relationships...

but you burn in hell if you dont tolerate us fondling your young, innocent boys, molesting their body cavities, and hiding behind a claim of soverigenty,and diplomatic immunity!!!!!!!!!! HEIL HITLER!"

8. Connor22

ok Adam take a chill pill theres no need to get all upset, so you don't like the guy, and a few people agree with you, that's fine but if someone actually does like the pope and wants him to visit, and the pope wants to visit, then whats wrong with that? I know the costs are steep but just think of the amount of money they'll be making, people wanting to see him and so needing to buy tickets I don't know, just relax a little, he's visiting, people want to see him, alls well and good.

and remember the little rhyme? "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" well if you don't want to listen to what the pope says, and you don't agree with what he calls you then don't listen, they can't hurt you.

9. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love how someone expects people to be tolerant with the Pope when he's been anything but when it comes to us. Some of the stuff said by him has been absolutely disgusting. I agree people shouldn't be violent or anything like that, but tolerance is not the word I'd look for in this instance.

Respect is a two way street and should be earned. Period. The end.

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

If he wants to visit the UK HE should pay for it all! Not the UK tax payer! So much for keeping religion out of politics! Thats what bothers me. The ones who pay taxes are paying for this guy to come. Also if people really wanted to see him why do they go and see him where he lives?!

11. Davy

I have no personal liking for the man or his organisation. But the thing that annoys me is the fact the government feel the need to ask protester's to be tolerant. Considering the vast bulk will be from either the LGBT community or victims of child abuse. It is just a rather unnecessary comment. It is members of the LGBT community that will be protesting in the name of tolerance and acceptance.

Got to agree here, the cost is ridicules and I can guarantee you will rise, rather similar to the millennium dome estimates.

12. Just Adam

don't see why i should chill...people want to see others who speak hate speech but we stop them coming here.... i don't see why we cant stop him...if people want to see him so bad as far as im concerned they can get on a plain or train and go see him somewhere else...

the catholic church is vile... they condemn people who love those for the same sex while they move their heaven and hell to cover up they're abuse on people no just children.

and im not sure what costs you think are going to be....where are the profits going to come from to recoup £12 million and what part of that will go back into the public sector ?

fact is hes an irrelevant over priced remnant of when the church had power over the people one we are breaking free of...

i just hope when he comes here he gets such a horrid reception they never bring him back...

13. Ben

Ben

Well if the government pays for other heads of state to visit then it would be a bit silly not to pay for the Pope. The £12m is a bit excessive of course.

And I hate to agree with David Cameron, but I do. He's not telling people to like the Catholic Church. He's not even telling people not to protest. All he's asking for is that they do so with restraint and don't go overboard—and we all know how protests can get out of hand; people can get arrested, injured and sometimes innocent bystanders can get killed.

And please stop attacking the Catholic Church—there are more than a billion Catholics in the world and it's completely unfair to judge any organisation that large so quickly based on a few things you've read and heard.
    Sure you've heard the homophobic comments and the horror stories, but have you ever read anything written by Guttierez, Maitland etc.? Have you ever actually acknowledged the progressive nature of the Church pre-JPII? There are always two sides to an organisation and unfortunately the current pope is the most conservative the Church has had in the past 50 years. People need to consider the groundbreaking and often very central and continuing liberal movements in the Catholic Church before judging it so freely because of the unpleasant things they hear through media which is never going to hold pro-Catholic sentiment.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not necessarily. The vatican is not recognised by the united nations.

I'd love for him to get arrested, and i'd die a happy man if he were to be convicted, but unfortunately it doesn't seem likely in the current hyper-reverent atmosphere.

I won't condemn an entire religious demographic, that's not the point. But the central power-hungry nucleus of the church? The cardinals, those with rank, those that make the decisions to protect their organisation's image at the expense of the innocence of children all over the world? Those i have no qualms in labelling as some of the most corrosively evil people on the planet. And it's by no means merely a recent phenomenon. The catholic church has a centuries-old (yes, centuries) tradition of tolerating and even hiding instances of child sexual abuse.

15. Apocalypte

If you had any understanding about what the Catholic Church had done in Ireland, you would never, ever, ever stop attacking it. They are an organisation truly worthy of contempt.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    and i would further stress that attacking the catholic church is not equivalent to attacking either the catholic faith or those that follow it. Defending those who self identify as catholic from a lambasting which isn't even directed at them is diversionary and a straw-man tactic.

17. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I think the church needs a Gay pope. lol

18. MusicIsLife

Among other parts of thw world where the catholic church has forced their religion on people who have little choice in the matter. Example: Canadian Residential Schools.

19. Davy

Come on do you think any self respecting gay pope would ware that hat?, needs a bit of updating :lol:

20. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The Pope is a flat out idiotic and pathetic man who doesn't deserve the title. I mean..the local Catholic priest deserves it more than him. Even my catholic friends agree (most my friends are Catholic.)

But Catholic people are very nice. I love Catholic people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And the Church itself isn't bad.

Just the leader of it.